Thread: cast iron router table extension question

cast iron router table extension question

I'm about to do some table saw upgrades, among them adding Incra's TS III and Wonder Fence. I've also acquired a Porter Cable 7518 router motor for permanent table use. I'm looking at a router lift whose plate is 9-1/4" x 11-3/4". Other than the fact that it's drilled for some old Craftsman router and I had to come up with an adapter to let me attach my Hitachi, I like the cast iron router table extension that's currently on the saw. My thought was to leave it and replace the stamped steel extension table on the right side of the saw with a cast iron extension that accepts a router plate. The only one I've seen has a plate opening that is 8-1/4"x11-3/4". Anyone know where to find an extension with the correct size hole or how to get the 8-1/4"x11-3/4" widened by an inch? Or maybe I'm thinking too highly of the cast iron solution and someone can suggest a good solution I can build to fit my saw and hold up that 7518 without sagging.

Sommerfeld tools has a very sturdy (and large) aluminum router table top dimensioned to fit as a table saw extension, which I'm in the process of adding to my saw. It can be drilled for a 7518, but it does not use a router plate, so a plate-based router lift can't be used on it. Marc Sommerfeld uses one of the Triton routers with its own build-in lift mechanism. (The web site, http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/ is in maintenance at the moment, so I am unable to give you the direct link for the table).

I've been very happy with Woodhaven's thick MDF tables with a 7518 and JessEm Mast-R-Lift in a dedicated cabinet, but they have one sized for use as a table-saw extension. An MDF table top should have some close-in support for a router as heavy as a 7518, such as a cabinet or some angle iron to prevent it from sagging over time -- especially when combined with something as heavy as a router lift. (http://woodhaven.com/Category.asp?Id=3)

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much wired into needing a plate, I bought the motor without any base with the idea of using a router lift. I think I'm going to go the MDF route (no pun intended) similar to what you mentioned. I found a plan in a back issue of Woodsmith that I think I can make work. If I could find some scraps of white laminate (and maybe some backing), I could build it with leftovers I have kicking around.

The only other CI extension that I know of is this:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_products.htm#1066

The size is close, but I don't think it will fit your lift. IMHO, go with the benchdog. I have it and it is an awesome table. The only negative is that they size it funky to lock you into their brand
    You can get a router with a built in lift for less than most lifts cost these days. I looked at lifts until I found the new Freud models and it seemed like a no brainer to get the Freud.

Eric

Edit:
    One more CI table found:
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...er_table4.html
    Last edited by Eric Haycraft; 03-05-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Found another...

What brand is the CI wing that is set up for a router? That's likely where you need to source your plate/lift. Every manufacturer has their own design, dimensions and corner radii...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the link. That opening is almost, but not quite the right size. I'm really fixed on getting one of those digital smartlifts and I already have the Porter Cable router motor. I did seriously look at those Freuds and the Milwaukees with the similar above table adjustments, but the appeal of the digital height adjustment and the great price I got on the Porter Cable led me a different direction. Thanks for your reply!

MLCS cast iron extension

I don't know if this is of help to you or not-
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...n_exten_anchor

I had run across that one, and kept looking when it listed the plate opening as 12" x 9". After seeing your reply, I looked again, and this time I fired them an email asking them directly is the JoinTech SmartLift will fit. Thanks for your reply!

Since I have some flexibility, I'd rather forgo the CI extension if necessary to be able to use the JoinTech lift. But, I sure do like my current CI extension, even with it's bolt on router limitations. How crazy would it be to have my current extension machined to accommodate the SmartLift?

Thanks for your reply!

As I said, I have a 7518 with a JessEm Mast-R-Lift plate in a thick MDF top from Woodhaven that I have been very happy with. It's on a base with close-in bracing on two sides of the plate, and there's no detectable sag in the MDF.

Woodhaven is a great source for all manner or router-related accessories. If you want to save the effort, they sell templates to route a recess for your plate, plate levelers, pre-drilled plates, plate-drilling templates, longer mounting-screws, etc.

Grizzly has one also...

http://grizzly.com/products/Router-T...xtension/H7507

Can get through Amazon or Grizzly direct.
    Con- Doesn't look like it has a miter track.
    Con- Might have to modify to fit your tablesaw.
    Plus- Cheap.
    Plus- Might be able to use another router lift.

the onlyt CI router extension I know if is peachtree and I looked at it at the last woodworking show. It is kind of small so it turned me off. I asked them why they didn't make it bigger and they said weight right now it was like 60lbs any more and some saws couldn't support it. Again it was to small for some of my work so i gave up on it.

The Summervill top looked real nice. As for a router lift I have and use the woodpecker and love it, the bench dog if you are doing production is nice and bulletproof. Most people where using this new Triton Router includig summervill at there demo. I have almost ever router and I am doing the same soon, building a router wing. I am going to use MDF and the Triton router instead of buying a lift. The triton has a lift built in so I will just keep another router table and router since the triton will cost me as much as the lift will anyhow. Hope this helps a bit and gives you other options.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Since I have some flexibility, I'd rather forgo the CI extension if necessary to be able to use the JoinTech lift. But, I sure do like my current CI extension, even with it's bolt on router limitations. How crazy would it be to have my current extension machined to accommodate the SmartLift?

Thanks for your reply!
    What did you end up doing?

The SmartLift is currently on sale for $250, by the way.

I ran down all the CI extensions I could find or helpful folks here pointed me towards and couldn't find one that would handle the Smart Lift plate footprint. I've started collecting designs for shop made extension wings guessing that is the route (pun intended) I'll take. I'm going to leave my current craftsman router extension on the left wing and replace the pressed steel right wing extension with the fabricated router extension. I'm looking at what I can use to help support the router, probably angle iron in some configuration. Now if I just had $250 for the lift

Jerome,

Contact Chris Brown here at The Creek. His company makes most of the cast tops for Powermatic and other high end table saws and they are now producing custom extension wings. They can build an extention wing for you that fits whatever you want in the way of lifts, etc.

Chris is building a 24" extention wing for me right now to fit my Grizzly 1023 with a built in router raiser for a Porter Cable 7518.