Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project Post: Our Kitchen

You built all of that in four months?! It would have taken me four years and wouldn't look half as nice.

Nice work!

Keith

2. Wow!!!

Now that's a kitchen worth waiting for!!!

Really Nice

Big and beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Please update when the countertops are in.
    -Jeff

Craig great job, your place looks comfy to live in, I like the fireplace as well. Are you adopting?
    I would like to hear a little detail on beading and an actual picture of it. Its very hard to see with even the closest pic you have there.
    Nice place.

Replies.....

Wow thanks for all the replies.... Here are some answers to the questions asked... Hope I get them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    What method did you use for the jack miters on the beaded frames? I am going to start doing them myself and am always looking for the "best" method.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    craig, nice job! did you nail on the beads or rout them into the face frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    I would like to hear a little detail on beading and an actual picture of it. Its very hard to see with even the closest pic you have there.
    Joe / Frank / Craig,

I only have 'garage tools'... so I don't know that my method is the best... but it has worked pretty well and is fairly repeatable. The beads are milled into the faceframe. I might be coned into nailing them on... but only if it was paintgrade. I milled them at 1 5/8" so that the 'flat' did not get to thin looking. Since I have not splurged on a hoffman notching machine yet.... I use my Mortiser set on a 45, and rig up stop blocks for consistency (USE A SHARP CUTTER). 2nd operation is a bandsaw for top and bottoms, Chisels for the space between the drawers and doors, and Chisels for all clean up. Here is a Closeup pic from pre-finishing (previos post so it won't let me re-attach)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1200464542

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    Wow, Craig, that looks great. Not just the woodworking which came out beautiful, but the whole layout. I would also be interested in seeing the before pics and definitely want to see after the counters are installed.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Craig - love the cabinets and layout. Do you have before pics? How was the original layout - did you remove any walls?

Mike
    Lori / Mike,

Here are some pics from prior ... we ripped out 2 closets and a walkin pantry, gutted the electrical, ripped out 3 windows, moved the door to the attached garage, replaced one doorwall and added a second.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...2&d=1200463741

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1200463741
    And one I missed on the original post...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Spanbauer View Post
    Nicely done. I gather that this is also your business (your customer kitchen reference)?
    I like it as well as the adjoining family space. That's a real great way to keep the cook social while they prepare meals. A favorite of mine while I'm working on meals.

Mike
    Mike... not my full time bus. I do cabinets on the side of a fulltime job. Tis the reason for the long delay between ripping out the old... and getting to start on building the new cabinets... I had been renting a 35 X 40 garage for dirt cheep for several years to house the wood working 'toys' and took on odd jobs. But of recent moved into a commercial building and have been taking on 'real customers'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ricks View Post
    Wow! That is really beautiful! What kind of wood is that on the floor? It goes great with the cherry.

Scott
    Scott, It was named "Asian Walnut - Golden Sierra", (sorry dont remember the MFG) I can't say that it is really from Asia. Its' base color is very dark, gray and black. To get to the color they have... must have been a translucent orange.. I had a hard time duplicating it for the transitions I had to mill.

Thanks for looking and commenting to all.... now... let's get back to our toys....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craig, awesome work! Love the before and after. Doesn't even look like the same place. I've been in some very, very nice homes, this kitchen is right on par with some of the best!

Do you have any layout drawings? Something that shows the room size and maybe what the dimensions were before you made the changes? At some point, I may consider having a similar set up. Yes, your photos are very inspiring!

Very nice work Craig. It is going to break your heart if you ever decide to move.

Blog Entries
    Craig,

Excellent job on the kitchen. The before and after pictures are amazing.

Nice work.

Beautiful. It looks like it was worth the wait. I'm sure she will enjoy it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Beautiful work! You have inspired me. How high are your ceilings?

Nicely done!!!

By the way, if it would help, I could have my wife talk to your wife and explain how she has been waiting for 32 months for her new kitchen (took me a little while to build and finish the rest of the house myself). Let me know.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion