Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Box finished w/pics

New Box finished w/pics

Attached is a 12" X 8" box I finished up a couple of weeks ago from a piece of maple I actually stumbled into from my local wood source. The board was an 8 footer and 7 inches wide, cost was $26.00 out the door. The box finish is a few coats of Zinnser shellac sealer and Briwax. The top is made from 1/2" material, wood is walnut and ambrosia maple, the splines are also walnut. I finished the top differently, I used Tried and True original finish which gives it a nice glow. Thanks for looking.

Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Gene!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Tasty Gene,

Very Tasty!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Very nice Gene!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I like it! Gene, are the sides also made of Ambrosia maple or something else. If they are then the finish you put on the top produced a very different look than the side.

What kind of hinges did you use? So far I have only made a couple of recipe boxes but would like to try my hand at something a little more complicated.

That's a yummy box, Gene! Great figure and as always, I like the contrast between the lighter wood and the walnut. Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collison
    Attached is a 12" X 8" box I finished up a couple of weeks ago from a piece of maple I actually stumbled into from my local wood source. The board was an 8 footer and 7 inches wide, cost was $26.00 out the door. The box finish is a few coats of Zinnser shellac sealer and Briwax. The top is made from 1/2" material, wood is walnut and ambrosia maple, the splines are also walnut. I finished the top differently, I used Tried and True original finish which gives it a nice glow. Thanks for looking.

Gene
    Gene, What great work and a beautiful box. Great design.
    Be Blessed!

Gene,

Nice job, especially like the contrasting woods. Is the top hinged or a lift off? Were the splines made on the table saw?

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    What kind of hinges did you use? So far I have only made a couple of recipe boxes but would like to try my hand at something a little more complicated.
    Hi Jeff,

The sides are made from the same board as the front and it is finished the same. The lighting is what makes it look different, it would look the same if I turned it around and took another picture with the same lighting. I have routed finger grooves in the ends of the top, you can see them in the pix if you look carefully. No hinges, the top lifts off and there is a walnut frame on the bottom side of the top that centers it. thanks for the compliment.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Gene,

Nice job, especially like the contrasting woods. Is the top hinged or a lift off? Were the splines made on the table saw?

Bob
    Bob,

Lift off and the splines were made with my trusty Makita biscuit joiner set for maximum depth.

Gene

Great box Gene. I always did like the mixed woods. Steve

That's beautiful Gene!

Matt

Very nice....what bit set did you use for the top?
    I'm ready to try my hand at raised panel and cope and stick.....a box project will be just the ticket.
    regards
    Greg

Looks awesome, what are you going to put in it, or is it a gift?
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.