Thread: Upgrade Turbine HVLP Gun - Accuspray or Capspray/Wagner?

Upgrade Turbine HVLP Gun - Accuspray or Capspray/Wagner?

Anyone have experience with the Accuspray 10 and the Wagner NB/NBC/Maxum II turbine spray guns?

I'm looking to upgrade turbine spray guns from an "Economy" Turbine Gun that I got from Phelps Refinishing last year (bleeder) to a non-bleeder gun. Although the gun (which appears to be identical to a Lemmer gun, minus the plastic overgrip) lays out a nice finish with my 3 stage turbine, the constantly bleeding air is annoying and causes finish to gunk up the tip (I've been using Target Conversion Varnish (tinted white) so far with great results, minus "operator" errors)--plus, I can't get additional tips/air caps.

Everywhere I read, Accuspray 10 gun gets great reviews, about atomization, maintenance, etc. Since this a hobby for me, though, I am also thinking about the Wagner NB/NBC gun that Gleempaint.com has for less money.

Is the extra cost of the Accuspray result in a noticeably better finish?

Jaime -

I can't asy that I have experience with either of the guns that you listed but it sounds like you have a bleeder gun ("econmy") that originally came with the fuji. You can still get parts and needs for that gun here:

http://www.hvlpsales.com/accessories.html

they also have the new fuji non-bleeder guns with a new "high-efficiency" air cap.

I still have the economy gun that came with my fuji in 2000. I agree that the bleeder gun can sometimes be a pain. They have directions on the website I listed to allow the Fuji turbine to be used with a non-bleeder gun.

The wagner looks like a pretty decent gun for the money. I will be trying to find additional information on that as well.

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I had a Fuji 3-stage turbine with the Capspray Maximm II gun and was able to get good results from it although I had to thin the Target products a bit to get them to atomize properly. Rob is correct, the Fuji turbine will need to be modified to work with the non-bleeder gun. The modification is essentially just drilling a 1/4" hole on the outlet manifold to allow it to vent when the trigger is not depressed. The good thing about the Maximm II is that the parts are really cheap and you can break it down and clean it extremely quickly. It is a bit bulky and tough to maneuver around in a cabinet as the cup tends to bump into things. It is also a bit out of balance when the cup is full and you (I) fatigue easily when spraying a lot of surface area.

If you have a compressor capable of powering it, you owe it to yourself to look into a pressure-pot based conversion setup also. Certainly a bit more $$ but there is definitely a difference in performance. Not a differnece with the gun per se but with the combo of the gun and the 3-stage turbine vs the conversion setup with heavy-bodied products like the Target CV there is a big difference.

Accuspray

I have the Accuspray 10 gun with the 230 turbine. It has worked great so far, I've used it about 15 times to shoot latex paint and primer (thinned 20%). I use Sherwin Williams Superpaint which is pretty thick, both the gun and the turbine handle it fine. I bought another cap and needle for lacquer but I'm still using a Devilbiss conventional gravity gun for the lacquer, it has worked well for me.