Thread: Deal alert: DeWalt planer

Deal alert: DeWalt planer

Lowe's has the DW735 at 17% off for the month of March.
    I'm in the market and had it narrowed down to this one, the 734 or the Delta 22-580. I think my decision is made, especially if I can get them to take the 10% off Moving coupon on top of it.

That is a pretty good deal. You should like the DW 735. I've used mine quite a bit and have found the slow speed helpful on some woods. You'll need the infeed/outfeed tables. I found them on Amazon for less than anyone else with free shipping. When I bought DW 735 there were very few deals and all seemed to add on shipping to the price.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I just bought the DW735 planer (based on all it's great reviews) from my local Woodcraft yesterday, utilizing their 10% off sale. I thought I got a good deal until I stopped into my local Lowes today and see they have the same planer on sale for 17% off through the month of March.

I called my local Woodcraft about it and they said the Lowes price was below their cost and I could return it if I wanted. For the difference in price, I think I'll just keep the one I have and support my locally owned Woodcraft store. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with them.

Can't wait to play with the new planer. Unfortunately, I still have to build my tiny shop .

4. David,
    I know what you mean. One of these days I'm going to finish working on my shop so that I can work in my shop

You can't go wrong buying either the Dewalt 734 or 735. They're both very good thickness planers.

Personally, I have the 734. The blade Dewalt supplies in box are hit-or-miss. If you have any problems flip each blade over (the blades are double sided) until you get a satisfactory cut. You could also buy a set from Freud that are reasonably priced. If I were you, I'd stay with the in box blades and don't change them until you run into any issues.

For how little space this little unit takes up, I'm very satisfied with its performance.

Reading the reviews on Amazon, quite a number of folks report having problems with the drive mechanism failing. Quite a few more report short blade life.

Can any of you DW735 owners out there comment on those reviews?

Thanks in advance.

-Tom H.
    Ventura, CA

The earliest version of the DW735 had problems with the drive mechanism failing. That is old news... like 5 years old. I bought my DW735 in 2004, and have had no problems.

But DW735+stand+infeed/outfeed tables puts you almost at the price of a Grizzly 15" stationary planer. That is what I would recommend buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    The earliest version of the DW735 had problems with the drive mechanism failing. That is old news... like 5 years old. I bought my DW735 in 2004, and have had no problems.

But DW735+stand+infeed/outfeed tables puts you almost at the price of a Grizzly 15" stationary planer. That is what I would recommend buying.
    Interesting strategy Tim -- thanks for the comments.

Which Grizz planer were you referring to -- the G04053?

The DW725 sale price is $460. The in/out tables add $50, so that is $510 plus sales tax puts it in my garage for $550 or so. I have a table I can use as a base, although the $100 for a DW base might be worth it.

The Griz G04053 is $800, or about $940 with shipping. Dunno if they charge sales tax or not. But that is quite a bit more expensive than the DW.....

And space is an issue as well, for me.

The Grizz is probably a lot more tool than the DW, but I'm not sure it is for me.

-Tom H.
    Last edited by Tom Henderson2; 03-01-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: duplication in original post

i was actually on my way to woodcraft (they had the planer at 549 with free mobile base stand) and something prompted me to call the lowe's i would be driving past...low and behold i stumbled into the deal! So i took it...hard to argue 418 vs 549...i did support woodcraft. I ordered a Jet TS!!! Sorry for the duplicate thread...

Thanks for the tip! Got mine today

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Sears View Post
    Lowe's has the DW735 at 17% off for the month of March.
    I'm in the market and had it narrowed down to this one, the 734 or the Delta 22-580. I think my decision is made, especially if I can get them to take the 10% off Moving coupon on top of it.
    Thanks, Russ! I was waiting for a deal on that one. After reading your post, went to Lowes and bought one at the discount price

Amazon is matching price now (+ free shipping, no txs)

Quote Originally Posted by Cesar Orosco View Post
    Thanks, Russ! I was waiting for a deal on that one. After reading your post, went to Lowes and bought one at the discount price
    So, I just went to check on amazon tonight and found out that they are now matching Lowes price (they weren't this morning). It also qualifies for free shipping and no taxes, so, depending on where you are, you can get a better deal from them (in my case, $22 for taxes in MA).

I am keeping mine from Lowes, though. $22 is not that much, and it will be much easier to deal with a local store if something goes wrong.

OK, this sucks. I was really leaning towards the Ridgid R4330 mainly because of the fact that it has the same footprint as my OSS and so I could build a flip top table for them. But this is a really good price and I do feel that this planer is a little nicer than the Ridgid. I don't think I can put this guy on a flip top...

If you are going to buy from Lowes, don't forget to stop by your local post office to pick up a change of address packet, most times they will have a 10% off coupon for Lowes or HD, of which both are good at either store. That combined with the already discounted price will give you a 27% savings.

A quick heads up for anyone that bought the 735 in the past 30 days from Amazon...as mentioned Amazon now has the 735 at $455. When it was at $495 last week I bought one. You have 30 days to receive a refund for the difference. I read the fineprint and the refund isn't automatic - you have to contact Amazon customer service. I just sent them an email asking for the difference.