Thread: Finishing closet ?'s

Finishing closet ?'s

Ok guys, just got back from a LONG drive from the new house and have "finalized" the shop plans. I thought I had anyways. On the way home, I mentioned a finishing closet/room to the wife and she said great idea !!!!!!! It is also acceptable to take part of HER 2 car garage for it (since my new shop will be the other side of the wall.

Question is, what the heck goes in a finishing closet/room. I cant let her know that I dont know anything about it or she will pull the plug on the idea. I have to sound savvy.

Like, extraction fans, filters, and anything else.

Im thinking of a room of 8x8 maybe......

i told her smaller but oh well......

HELP!!!

thanks guys.

You should have explosion proof:
    • exhaust fans (forget right now amount of airflow - based on room size
    • lights - natural, have enough to avoid shadows - top, side, front, back
    • filtered air coming into the room - so exhaust fans can work
    • heating - also explosion proof (radiant?) so the material can cure under controlled conditions
    • air line in with oil filter, water filter, regulator - make certain air supply is sufficient for guns
    • white painted walls?
    • storage (based on room size) for finishting equipment. Otherwise it will need to be located elsewhere.
    • some sort of fiinishing stand (may be temporary/mobile) to place work on. Sometimes hanging from wires is best so maybe a wire attachment between walls if needed.
    • Keep cleaning equipment out of room. Avoid having fumes possibly affect finish quality.

I am certain others can add more things. I like a larger room so I am not crowded up against the item I am spraying or finishing.

Yeah, 8x8 seems a tad on the small side, but go with what you have at your disposal. How big is the garage going to be? If this is a new house, is it too late to expand the garage for a bigger finishing room? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter
    Yeah, 8x8 seems a tad on the small side, but go with what you have at your disposal. How big is the garage going to be? If this is a new house, is it too late to expand the garage for a bigger finishing room? Just a thought.
    the existing garage is a 3 car and the new workshop is gonna be 20x32. that will be attached the existing garage and i will take over the single car and the new shop. The wife will keep the double car for her and the kids.

I was hoping that a little "closet" room off off her real estate would make me a finishing room......second thoughts now.....hmmmmm

Thanks for your input guys.