Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How good is grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Jim, I don't know if you saw several recent threads of mine concerning combo machines. I have a Jet 6" jointer and Ridgid 13" lunchbox planer that I need to upgrade for an upcoming project. I started looking at individual replacements vs combo units. What ultimately swayed me away from individual pieces was weight. The planer was the Griz G1021X2 which I think is the top planer in that size you can get. But the problem was with the jointer. I was looking at the G0609X (similar to the one you've listed). It's over 1000 pounds and can not be put on a mobile base. That was an absolute negative. There's no way I could have used it. So I switched my search to combo units, of which I've now decided to go with the Jet (because of features only, I think the Griz unit is just as nice).

To your original question though...we have a Griz table saw at work and work that thing hard (especially cutting live oak) and it takes it all in stride. I think their equipment, like others have said, is on par with most of the name brands that the average hobbyist woodworker has in their shops.

Be well,

Doc
    A mobile base is listed as an accessory for the 9860zx but I'll double check.

I considered the jet and grizzly combos but both had some downsides. I visited the Felder showroom in sacramento to look at the hammer and 531 jointer/planers and came away thinking that, for a combo, the 531 was the way to go. It is beautifully made and can be placed almost against a wall since the fence doesn't require extra space when at the extreme. The hammer tables tilt when raised and almost double the footprint of the machine. Unfortunately, felder does not have any helical cutter heads. In addition, by the time you add in the accessories for a 531, you're looking at well over $6000 for a machine that is less convenient than separates. (I've used an inca combo machine for 25 years and have adjusted my workflow as such. There were many times, however, that losing the planer setup when going to the jointer was a real pain.) For anyone considering a combo, I would say if you can afford the space, use separates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    I should have been more specific. The inca table saw is really too small and uses a tilting table so I'm getting a sawstop. That decision was easy.
    Great choice. You'll love it.

I was thinking of replacing the inca jointer/planer combo with separate machines, the grizzly G1021x2 15" planer and the 12" jointer, probably the G9860ZX. (The separate machines total less than a fully equipped felder 531 jointer/planer.)
    I don't know much about Grizzly planers, but their jointers are well made. If I ever do decide to upgrade my G0490 jointer the G9860ZX is definitely on my "short list" of machines to look at.

I have an inca bandsaw which I sometimes love and sometimes is the target of a long stream of invective. At some point in the future, I'll probably replace that.
    For band saws my hope is to one day to be able to pick up an Agazzani B-24 or B-32. I don't think that Grizzly has anything that will come close to an Agazzani. Perhaps they do, but I can get the Agazzani locally.

I'm not a pro but we're just finishing building a new house which has a shop double the size of what I've got now. I have a long list of furniture I have pledged to build, including 8 dining chairs so the machines will get a lot of use.
    I hope that your pledge list isn't so long that you won't enjoy your woodworking.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    A mobile base is listed as an accessory for the 9860zx but I'll double check.
    Jim, if you double check, the mobile base is listed under the "Customers who purchased this item also purchased:" area. Under Accessories is only Safety Glasses, Machinists Squares, and Hearing Protectors.

When I asked Griz CS about the mobile base for the G0609X they listed two reasons why they did not recommend a mobile base: the overall weight and the fact that the base is not square - it bows out along the length. If you look that the 9860ZX, you will see that is looks like it also bows out.

Be well,

Doc

You guys would cringe at Northfield equipment prices.

I worked at a shop that had almost everything Grizzly. In a profession shop scenario...... its crap. For the hobbiest it is probably plenty.

Here's a list of Northfield equipment prices.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...elist-2007.pdf

Best of the best though.

I've got a shop full of grizzly tools. I run them 10 to 14 hours a day in a production setting everyday of the week. The only time I have had problems with any of them was induced by the humans running them or by not keeping up with routine maintenance. Would I be better off with more expensive name brand tools? Don't know and as long as grizzly keeps making quality stuff I may never find out. I've never had to replaced a griz tool, but I have gotten larger machines from them when I outgrew the other one. I don't think I could get half a the tools needed to run close to 600 shadow boxes and a truckload or two of furniture not to mention tons of other stuff thru the doors without going "green". All of my griz tools have lived up to what I expected of them if not more, while I do have other brands in my shop I have not had any last as long as my green machines have. Customer service and the parts department are top notch and more often than not the person you talk to actually has some knowledge about the tool in question.

IMHO you get alot of bang for the buck with Grizzly and get the best customer service around.
    Last edited by Jody Malinich; 03-02-2008 at 9:46 PM. Reason: My spell checker didn't work....again.

Blog Entries
    No complaints on product or customer support. I say support instead of service because I've gotten good support but never required service.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Richter View Post
    I bought a Grizzly table saw 20 years ago and it was not impressive to say the least. I sold it and bought a Unisaw which is my benchmark. Jump forward to today: I bought a Minimax MM16 a few months ago, and more recently got the Grizzly 0490 jointer and the new 1021X2 15" planer, both with Shelix cutter heads. The jointer replaced an 8" American made Powermatic. I have no regrets about "trading down" - it is simply better in terms of design, casting and build quality. The planer is mostly dis-assembled because I am building a mobile base and I need to strip it down so me and my wife could pick things up. This also gives a look at how it is constructed. It is hard to find any place where they have tried to cut a corner.

In terms of build quality, I would put rate these items as good as or better than the MM. I wish I had the the 17" Griz bandsaw for a direct comparison. just my 2 cents
    How is a grizzly better casting and build quality than an U.S-made PM?

When I read the title of this thread, I almost cringed. I could see it in my mind before reading on: 1/2 saying "it's crap!" and 1/2 saying "it's wonderful" It's possible if you started a thread titled "HOW GOOD IS (place name brand here)?" you would get the same results no matter the company listed. If you lump together all the opinions, I think you can surmise that Grizzly makes a bang-for-the-buck mid level tool that has better than average customer assistance. I am a hobbyist and happen to own a few Grizzly tools. My personal experience has been positive and I feel I got exactly what I paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    How is a grizzly better casting and build quality than an U.S-made PM?
    How many PM tools are still made in the US? Just a question because I don't know. It has been my understanding that quite a few of the PM tools are made over seas.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I have only one Grizzly full size unit - a bandsaw G0555 (Ultimate 14" Bandsaw). I didn't have high expectations when I ordered it nearly 4 years ago, but I have been extremely pleased with the performance since. I'd put it up against any like-sized Delta or Jet any day. My father has had a like sized 14" Delta and I can't find where his B-saw can out perform my Grizzly in any way.

Blog Entries
    I've used many tool brands but have outfitted two shops now with primarily Griz equipment. For this last shop, I ordered the G1023L five years ago and was worried I should have spent the extra on a Unisaw. I have no regrets at all - and a friend who recently ordered a Unisaw had terrible "fit" problems getting it together, even though it was probably a fluke.

I have a jointer, drill press, air compressor, Ultimate Bandsaw and have been very happy with all. The only thing I would probably do differently is a Delta bandsaw. The reason is simply because they have a system to adjust the lower supports that is much easier to get to. However, I'm very happy with it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    You guys would cringe at Northfield equipment prices.

I worked at a shop that had almost everything Grizzly. In a profession shop scenario...... its crap. For the hobbiest it is probably plenty.
    Karl,

You have committed a mortal sin. It is irresponsible to make a statement like that and not back it up with facts. Assuming you have used Grizzly equipment you should be providing details of the machines and problems you experienced. A negative statement or derogatory comments without facts is not worth much no matter which manufacturer is being discussed.

Blog Entries
    After a little research (mostly on this site), last week I ordered my first tool from Grizzly. I am anticipating the arrival of a 15" planer (G0453Z) that I have to get into the basement. Will take pics of that process!! Previously my sons have always looked back and said "Remember how we put Dad's Powermatic saw down the basement". I think the planer might become the new legend in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Karl,

You have committed a mortal sin. It is irresponsible to make a statement like that and not back it up with facts. Assuming you have used Grizzly equipment you should be providing details of the machines and problems you experienced. A negative statement or derogatory comments without facts is not worth much no matter which manufacturer is being discussed.
    All I remember was that we had three breakdowns of table saws. Exactly what I don't remember. It was almost ten years ago so its a might fuzzy. I think two were switches, and one was an entire motor replacement. Loose sloppy fences. Pain in the butt right tilt blades, (which is great for a dado saw, nothing else though), Just a loose feeling altogether. I was there a year and not impressed with the quality of any of his tooling. Oh, shapers. Yikes, his all vibrated like crazy. Abuse I don't know, worn out possibly.

Now, I worked at another shop that had at least eight table saws, and probably in the neighbor hood of a dozen shapers. This place was big enough to have 3 Timesavers widebelt sanders just so we didn't waste time changing belts. BIG. All of it was ran hard. There was one Powermatic failure in the three years I was there and it was on the first table saw that the owner had ever bought. It couldn't have been too old, as it was still yellow, but it did have the steel motor cover. Most of the shapers, planers, and tablesaws in that place were Powermatic or Northfield. We had Two Delta table saws in the cut out dept for dado's. This place was the wet dream of tooling in my eyes.