Thread: Scraps and Cutoffs

Scraps and Cutoffs

All,

How do you store your cutoffs, and scraps that are work keeping and what kind of a standard do you use when determining if it is a 'new heat source' or worth reusing?

I struggle with this becasue I lean them up against a wall, and end loosing floor space. I recently built a wood storage bin, which I will post pics of later, but I still end up with stuff on the floor that I am not sure about, and it certainly can be a safety hazard as well.

Any ideas, tips, and pics are welcome....
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Hi Brent, I have a shop in the basement of a townhouse, certainly not large.

I only keep scraps if I think I will use them within one year, otherwise they go in the firewood pile, or I give them to the kid across the street who has a scrollsaw.

I store small pieces on two shelves over the lathe, since I normally only keep small pieces that would be good for turning.

I've found that wood is cheaper than my sanity, so instead of getting trapped in a shrinking floor space shop I get rid of stuff.

regards, Rod.

I keep a 30gal metal trash can that holds all my scraps. It takes up floor space, but at least they are contained somewhat. If I need something, I just start digging through there.

I use two things. I have a plastic garbage pail bought at Lowes to which I attached 4 swiveling casters (you can see it just to the left of the cart in the first picture). In there goes all the scrap that I will likely burn.

For stuff I will keep, I put it in this cart:
    projects0108001resized.jpg projects0108002resized.jpg

Blog Entries
    LOML sometimes brings me "scraps" from here work. She brought me some panels of MDF that are used to separate components when they are shipped. I sawed them up and slammed together a quick "cubby" unit, shown here, to fit under my outfeed table. I was thinking I would put my scraps in some of the cubbys and build little slide out boxes for the ones that were left to hold even smaller pieces.

Once I gathered all the little piles of scraps from the various corners of the shop where they had gathered, I pretty much filled all the cubbys as shown here. Oh well, I guess I don't have to make the little boxes now, eh?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-22-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Peter,

I really like that idea/design, i would figure it is about 8' long...but how wide?

Thanks
    Derek

It is actually 6' long - full panels can hang off the ends if needed and it saves space when I don't have any. It is 2' wide.

I have a similar unit to Peter's. Idea stolen from someone on here at some time.

Mine is 8 feet long but it was to go in front of an 8' garage door so space wasn't as much of an issue. It is crammed full and when there isn't space I try to cull the pile so to speak.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I use two things. I have a plastic garbage pail bought at Lowes to which I attached 4 swiveling casters (you can see it just to the left of the cart in the first picture). In there goes all the scrap that I will likely burn.

For stuff I will keep, I put it in this cart:
    projects0108001resized.jpg projects0108002resized.jpg
    Cool .. I built a cart very similar to that.

I use old plastic trash cans and Budweiser Boxes for smaller scrap. When those boxes get full, they either get burned or dumped.

I have a large metal trash can that holds the longer scraps up to about 4'. Longer than that goes up between the joists. Most "shorts" go in the kindling box or into the trash...the only exceptions being "expensive" stuff When I build my new lumber storage area upstairs, I'll make better provisions for shorts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There is a plan for a wood cart very similar to the one Peter built in "The Complete Book of Woodworking" by Tom Carpenter. I've got this book in hardback but I've also seen it in paperback at Home Depot. I think the book is only about $20 and I've found it to be an excellent resource. I've actually got 4 sheets of CDX and some heavy duty casters in my shop right now to build one of these carts ASAP. I too have a scrap "problem".
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

That's where the plans from mine came from with some modifications (used pocket screws, and didn't do the clamp holder, and a few other minor modifications).

Until very recently I stored them underfoot or stuffed in any spare cubby, under a bench etc. I now store them in either the burn barrel or in the attic above my shop. I am taking an "open space" approach to my shop once I complete the overhaul currently in progress and wood not directly involved in the construction of my current project is one of the things I banished to the attic above.

My garage workshop has a 4in ledge on top of the foundation wall which I use to store any scrap (stock) over 18in.

The original thought was to add a lip to the wall to stop things falling off but that seems to be unecessary.

I do not have space for a mobile cart and the garage is only 8ft high so this is an ideal solution and finds a use for otherwise dead spaces.

I keep smaller pieces of wood in a wall cabinet.

Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood storage is my biggest problem and with each new project it gets worse. I store cutoffs 3' and longer in a trashcan. I only keep smaller pieces if they are exotic hardwoods or domestic figured wood that can be used. As a rule of thumb, if it can be used for glue blocks, small carvings, or if I can make veneer or inlay strips from it I'll keep it. Otherwise I try to get rid of it. I hate to throw stuff away.