Thread: New Magnetic Tool

New Magnetic Tool

I'm still looking for a "round" S shaped tool rest, I've found round and I've found S shaped but can't find the two together. I went to a local dealer to see what he had and while I was there decided I needed a bigger scrapper. I picked up a well known named brand 1-1/2" and a few other odds and ends and headed back home. I put the tool in the floor board with the handle up toward the tunnel next to seat frame. I got home and headed to the shop, took the tool out and placed it on the rest and noticed it felt sticky. Thinking it may be some type of coating I cleaned it with WD-40 and while cleaning the rest I laid the tool on my work bench. When I pick the tool back up it had 4 washers and 6 nails stuck to it. I gave the store a call and they were shocked and told me they would gladly ship me another tool and a return label. I told them I'd hang on to it and see if I could demagnetize it but if not I'd call them back.They checked the others on the shelf and they seemed to be fine. I don't know if this was picked up by the the way I had it next to the drive line in the truck or if it was like that hanging on the shelf. May be worth checking before you take your tool home.

David I had the same trouble finding a round S shaped tool rest. I went down to the local welder here in town and he made me on for $15. It works like a champ. It has a 1" tool post and a 3/4" rest. I think I am going to have him make me another one with a 1" rest that is more ridged for deeper bowls.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Doesn't sorby make a round s shaped rest?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary, Sorby has this modular rest system that has a couple round S shaped rest it's a set and may be something you can get piece by piece. I'm just not thrilled abotu it not being solid and haven't found anyone with first hand info on it. There is another similar sytem as well I think by delta but i may have my fact wrong. been hit in the head to many times and have looked at too many pages. LOL I saw one on a video I think on Utube and it was really neat tight on one end and open on the other. but i can't find that video again either. I did find a J shape from Monster???? think they make two sizes can't tell or remember if the bends are the same but they are proud of them $$$$$$$ I may just work me out a piece of buggy axle on the anvil and make my own. Or better yet leave the OAK BLISTERS ALONE!!!

I have this one from LeeValley. works great.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

I have this one from LeeValley. works great.
    Aye, that's the ticket.
    Brian
    making perfectly good trees smaller, one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilhelm View Post
    Gary, Sorby has this modular rest system that has a couple round S shaped rest it's a set and may be something you can get piece by piece. I'm just not thrilled abotu it not being solid and haven't found anyone with first hand info on it. There is another similar sytem as well I think by delta but i may have my fact wrong. been hit in the head to many times and have looked at too many pages. LOL I saw one on a video I think on Utube and it was really neat tight on one end and open on the other. but i can't find that video again either. I did find a J shape from Monster???? think they make two sizes can't tell or remember if the bends are the same but they are proud of them $$$$$$$ I may just work me out a piece of buggy axle on the anvil and make my own. Or better yet leave the OAK BLISTERS ALONE!!!
    David, I've been thinking of getting the Sorby. I hefted the one at Rockler and the S shaped rest certainly looked and felt like a solid bar, but it did have the threaded recess in the middle for the post.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary I think I may be misleading a little when I was talking about it not being solid. I'm sure the S part is solid as in not hollow. It's the two pieces screwing together the S and the post makes me wonder about vibration. Mike likes his and they are near the same thing...........Look at how these J's are made

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.html

Gary,

I have the Sorby and just bought the bigger post to fit my PM3520B. I like the Sorby!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....