Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Pics: Shaker Blanket Chest

Project Pics: Shaker Blanket Chest

I started this back in october and I've still got a ways to go, but I've made some good progress. I started with a pile of rough cherry. This board will become the front of the chest. The boards for the sides are standing upright on the bench.

I got a new toy, but no dust collection, so I covered the patio in wood chips.

The first dovetail joint completed.

Laying out the pins from the tails.

Marking the waste so I saw on the right side of the line.

This is how i clamp the boards to my crappy bench.

In this picture I was fixing some cracks, because I got tired of carefully paring the dovetails and I forced them together with the mallet.

The case is all glued up.

This is the rabbet I cut to accept the bottom.

It took me four months to get this far, so it'll probably take me another three or four to make the top and the plinth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Craven View Post
    It took me four months to get this far, so it'll probably take me another three or four to make the top and the plinth.
    Excellent. You're making me feel better about also being slow.

Question: Did you get that nice DeWalt planer after you spent a month hand planing that first board, and decided that is for the birds?

Seriously though, it looks quite nice. When something is going to be around for decades or centuries, taking months to build it isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Kind of like the churches in Europe. Who cares (nowadays) that they took 125 years to build? They're still there 1000 years later. Do you think any of our strip mall churches that took one or two years to build are going to be around in a thousand years?

Jeff, I see you are in my county.. Where did you get your cherry from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Question: Did you get that nice DeWalt planer after you spent a month hand planing that first board, and decided that is for the birds?
    Yep, but I still did all of the jointing by hand. In that first picture I planed off enough to decide where to cut (the chalk marks). Then when the boards were a little smaller it was easier to feed them through the planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Giles View Post
    Jeff, I see you are in my county.. Where did you get your cherry from?
    Most of it came from a guy posting on craigslist, and a little came from Dave Spacht's Sawmill near norristown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Craven View Post
    Yep, but I still did all of the jointing by hand. In that first picture I planed off enough to decide where to cut (the chalk marks). Then when the boards were a little smaller it was easier to feed them through the planer.

Most of it came from a guy posting on craigslist, and a little came from Dave Spacht's Sawmill near norristown.

Would that be the guy in Coatesville? I have been planing to make a run his way...

Blog Entries
    Jeff
    That is going to be an awesome family heirloom. Make sure that you post pics when it has the finish on it.

Well, two years later and I'm still not finished, but I have made some progress in the past week or two. This is the plinth:

Blog Entries
    Moving right along. I really enjoy following others work methods. Keep us posted.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jeff, you are Da Man! I love it that A) 2 years later, not only haven't you finished it, but you are still trying to get it done, B) you are keeping the thread alive and keeping us updated (even so I wasn't even on this forum when you started the thread), and C) you are owning up to the fact that it isn't finished yet.

I think most folks would just sulk into the abyss and hope everyone forgot about that project they started but didn't complete. Good for you, and I hope I'm still on this forum when you complete it in another 2 years! Please, do keep us posted. Great documentation, BTW. I never have the patience to do that...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Cool looking joint, Jeff. Is that a new bench there in the latest pic?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Cool looking joint, Jeff. Is that a new bench there in the latest pic?

Mike
    Thanks, I plan to put a bevel on the mitered part of the joint instead of adding a molding to it later. I'll certainly post some pics when I do it.

And yes, that is a new bench. I was working out of my parent's basement in the beginning of this thread. Between working on my new house, fixing an old pickup truck and getting married, I haven't had much time for woodworking, but it is gaining momentum. I picked out the board for the lid, I have some cedar to line the inside, and I ordered custom hand forged hinges that are absolutely perfect for this chest.

Here is my new bench:

You've been benched !

This is definitely a sneaky gloat ! The "you suck" birds are circling for sure.

What a pleasure it must be to use!

Nice chest. I'm watching carefully as I need to make one for a grand daughter.

Please keep posting !

I'm still not done. But I'm getting a lot more motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Craven
    In this picture I was fixing some cracks, because I got tired of carefully paring the dovetails and I forced them together with the mallet.
    Hey I love this thread! And that quote above made me laugh quite a bit, it SO made me empathize with you!

Is this the design from hmm, woodwrights shop? Or maybe Norms? I seem to recall videotaping a similar chest where the sides were all dovetailed and the bottom wrap around plinth had that odd mitered dovetail design on the top?

Great to see you plugging along on it, and I'd love to hear more about that bench, especially if you built it--looks great either way. Keep posting, I'm rooting for ya!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028