Thread: Dust Collection questions

Dust Collection questions

I currently have no dust collection. I am trying to map out a strategy that will get me is steps from nothing ... to the final dust collection set up. I would like advice on how to start and what my end-game goal is. I know that there are various threads that discuss various parts of this issue. I am hoping that this thread can be a goold collection of overall dust collection approaches.

Background:
    I have a shop in the third bay of my three-car garage. I have two large garage doors and a utility door. when the weather is not too bad, I open the doors and let the breeze carry away the dust. When the weather is cold, I keep everything closed up (which is about 20% of the time). I now use a washable face mask (like a surgical mask) that I picked up at a woodworking store.

Here are my thoughts:
    1. I think that I need first is a respirator. Can you please make suggestions on brands and models?
    2. I think that my next step would be to buy a shop vac that can be used for dust collection -- attached to my tools. What shop vacs do a good job at this?
    3. I think that I will need a chip separator to use with my shop vac -- is that true? What do you recommend to buy or build for this?
    4. When budget allows (or time allows me to build), I will want to go to the next level -- dust collector (cyclone?) and air filtration.
    5. I understand that dust collectors collect the chips and some dust down to a certain size, but that an air filter is required to collect the small more dangerous dust. Is this true?
    6. What approachdo you recommend for dust collectors -- build a Bill Penz type model, buy a reasonable priced system?
    7. If an air filter is required because of the issue in #5, what air filters will do a good job.
    8. Price/cost is always an issue, so I want to be budget conscious while making my choices.

While I am by no means an expert, I will chime in on a few items. As to the end goal, that is somewhat up to you, but really, think of the family too. Garages on most newer houses are separated from the main house by a fire barrier and do not exchange air with the house. That's the good news. The bad news is that you still carry fine dust into the house with you when you enter. So goals are two-fold - shop cleanliness and FINE dust control.

I do not believe that a shop-vac is going to move enough air to remove chips from a table saw or planer completely, much less dust. Even a small DC system will not. Another issue is dust hoods at the equipment that create large amounts of dust like sanders and table saws. For a small shop, look at the newer portable dust collectors like the Delta that have a decent filter and plastic bag, then add a fine dust filter and wear a mask while cutting/sanding and for a while after. There is a long thread about measuring dust that strongly indicates that the DC and Filter will clean the air in about 1/2hr. (YMMV !)

FWIW I use a HF 2hp DC with a Wynn filter and a Shop Fox fine air filter and wear a mask. The DC has two gated ports on connected to the table saw and the other uses a 10' flex hose and moves as needed. I also keep the garage door open with a fan blowing from back to front, but then I'm in Florida.

Blog Entries
    Ray
    I also am not an expert. I'm sure that a few will chime in shortly Here's my $.02.

1. Yes, by all means get a respirator. Go to that local woodworking store and see what they have.

Jump to # 4. Go out and buy a reasonably priced DC Unit with casters on it. The latest Wood Magazine recommended an inexpensive Delta. Make sure that, whatever you get, it filters to 1 micron. Use a short flexible hose (10') with some type of quick connect and start collecting the dust at the source.

Buy a Filtering Unit (not sure of the best one-I have a Delta).

I guess that is $.03

More information

Since I posted my question, I saw the post by Bill Pentz which describes a couple of approaches -- that post is VERY helpful (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/printthr...1&pp=15&page=6). That, and the information above has led me to:
    - I will open my garage door and use a fan.
    - I will immediately buy a respirator
    - I will try to find an inexpensive dust collection system to attach to my tools.
    - I will start to research hoods and ports.

I am considering putting a (permanent) fan in the wall of my garage that vents to the outside, and then, when the weather is bad, I can just open my garage door about 12 inches to allow the fan to pull the air through. I am not sure if I should put the fan near the ceiling, floor or in between. I assume that I would want it toward the back of the garage to get cross-flow.

Filtering Unit

By Filtering Unit, do you mean an air filter that mounts on the ceiling (I am sure that there are others that mount anywhere ... but I am just trying to understand what you mean by "Filtering unit").