Thread: Amperage for Circuit to Run 3250B

Amperage for Circuit to Run 3250B

I am having an electrician put a subpanel and a few circuits into my garage this week. One circuit I plan to use to run a Powermatic 3250B lathe. Their website notes that the machine uses 6.2 amps (220v). I am wondering if there is an inrush of current that would require a somewhat higher amperage on the circuit when it starts up. Essentially, the question is, how many amps should that circuit be capable of handling (and it will be a dedicated circuit).

Thanks for the help.

d20 amps.
    robo hippy

I think hes got it!

20A, 12g, three wire. Bob

Another Outlet

No point in making it a dedicated circuit, really. If you're going to make it a 20A run you might as well throw another outlet in along the way. Can't hurt!

Bob has it, I'm not real into the other outlet idea. If you want to put a junction box with a loop for a later install maybe.... If you don't plan on using everything all at once you may be fine just depends on what else is plugged into that other outlet. I'd hate for that other units start up amps to kick the breaker while you were turning and cause a problem or harm.

I use a 20 amp circuit for mine. Although the motor is rated at 6.2 amps, the inverter specs read something around 15 amps.

John

Did someone happen to mention a 20Amp circuit.??!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Man i didn't know i couldn't just type LOL and hit send

Jesse,
    Might want to install several outlets around the garage on that 20 amp circuit. Assuming you would only run one 220v machine at a time, there would be spots for the table saw, planer, jointer, etc. Good idea, though, to have dedicated circuits for the A/C/Heater unit and the welder.
    Richard in Wimberley

I have mine running on a 20 amp circuit breaker because that is what is on the line running to the place in my shop where I decided to put the lathe. 10 amp breaker might be OK, just never tried it. However, my advice is to have the electrician install 10 guage wire (30 amp capacity) in case you ever want to power something else someday. You can always put a 20 amp breaker on the line (the breakers are intented to protect the installed wire, not the equipment plugged into the line) if you feel better. The incremental costs for 10 g wire over 12 g is very small compared to the total costs you will incur in putting in the sub panel and running the wire.

I ran 10 gauge on my circuit with a 20A breaker. If I end up with a machine that requires higher amperage, I can swap to a 30A breaker and run a subpanel in the garage with a 20A breaker for the lathe and a 30A breaker for the larger equipment (use one machine at a time).