Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clearvue mini cyclone design/build -Need Help- (pics)

I use the bucket that my pool chemicals come in. They have a twist on top that seems to be air tight. The only problem I had was the bucket falling over a lot, so I put 3 bricks in it.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I am very concerned about any approach that relies on an exo (as opposed to endo) skeleton. The force is suction, so with any exosekeleton, the weak points would seem to be the points where the skeleton is attached.

I think it is better to attach the support from the inside, but with an eye toward keepping the container easy to empty, and not dramatically increase the weight. (Too heavy, and you may as well have used a steel drum.....).

The best idea, IMHO, seems to be using steel bands, similar to wine barrel bands, but on the inside. I don't have any metalworking equipment, but if I can find some lengths of metal stock that I can roughly bend around plywood, then insert, bolt together, and epoxy to the inside barrel wall, that might work.

I am pinned down on the wrong side of a Honey Do list tonight, but freedom awaits tomorrow!

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for helping the new guy out.

Regards-David

A little tip, don't waste you time putting thin bands on the inside or outside, it won't stop it from collapsing as it has no structural value. have you checked to see if you can find one of those blue or white plastic barrels things come in now, they are approxametly 1/4 inch or thicker side walls and you can cut the top out with a sabre saw leaving about a 3 or 4 inch reenforcement ring , they are realitively light in weight.

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/15gal.html

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/15gal.html
    Last edited by harry strasil; 03-04-2008 at 7:34 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Harry, no disrespect intended, but I don't agree that internal bands can't add structural integrity.

You may wish to review this solution:
    http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/Mini+CV06/
    (View the Gallery titled "Another Mini with overflow protection.")

those bands are structurally strong, just thin flat metal bands against the side will have no structural value, anything you can bend easily with your hands flat against the sides is useless. you will find out if you try it.

no offense intended, just trying to help you not do somethng that won't work. flat bands will work well for containing pressure tho.

no more from me on the subject!
    Last edited by harry strasil; 03-04-2008 at 8:21 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I suppose I would just make a custom sized plywood box, I like the lowes birch plywood, its only 36$ per sheet, and its plenty strong. I would use dadoes, cut with a router, some pocket holes if you want, and maybe add little bracing triangles in the corners. Something like that might take 30-45 mintutes, and cost 40$(wood, glue, and silicone caulk) for attaching the cyclone, make a hole with a hole saw and drill.(if you dont have one it might be cost prohibitive, in that case use whatever you want)

ALL FIXED !!!!

After considering many design alternatives, I settled on intenal stiffening hoops, but the metal raw materials were too expensive.

I happen to live just outside of Syracuse, NY, home of Oneida Air systems. So, this morning, I was at Oneida Air at 7:45 am, and scored a nice 10 gallon drum from a Dust Deputy system ($51.00), brought it home, drilled three holes in the tope, caulked it up, and added the Clearvue Mini cyclone. As you can see from the attached photos, I am finally in business. It works fantastic.

I'm not sure what to call my rig, though:

1) The Ridgid Clearvue Deputy
    2) Oneida's Clarivoyant RidgeTop
    3) Mini Dustvue

Anyway, it now works great, and all I plan to do now, is to add a turned tapered post to insert the hose tip over; a couple of custom blocks to hold the vaccum and cyclone drums in place; and trim the cart down to a bare minimum footprint for mobility.

One concern I do have about the Clearvue Mini. This dust extraction cart is going to regularly be pulled around by the hose, like a shop vac. I am concerned that the cyclone inlet may not be strong enough to last through years of that. Has anyone rigged some kind of a portal to plug the cyclone and a hose into, that will relieve tugging on the cyclone inlet?

In closing, thanks to all who offere dinput on this project.

Regards-David

p.s. That's my British Lab, Diesel. He likes the new rig!
    Attached Images Attached Images

David,

I think you should just spray paint the metal can White, especially if you post it again on the ClearVue site (BTW, I was the one that suggested the internal stays for your plastic bin); I'm glad you found a solution with more capacity that a 5 gallon joint compound bucket, which is what I use.