Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROS Suggestions

I have a couple Rigid 6" and they are nice; much better than my PC 5".
    They are the old German ones; the new Chinese LOOK the same, but I don't know if they actually are.

2. PC Speed Bloc
    It's as good as any fancy Schmancy sander AND it'll save you tons of $$ Cause it's a quarter sheet sander.

What it does not have is DC. If you don't care about DC it is by far the best ROS on the market (IMNSOH).

I have a couple I really like the Makita ros bo5001, (old model). It is very well balanced. PC is nice and it hooks up to my shopvac.

I also have the new Festool 150 something with two speeds. Totally different sander than the other two.

For inexpensive, the makita is a nice ros.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    PC Speed Bloc
    It's as good as any fancy Schmancy sander AND it'll save you tons of $$ Cause it's a quarter sheet sander.

What it does not have is DC. If you don't care about DC it is by far the best ROS on the market (IMNSOH).
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do care about dust collection, and I'm pretty well leaning toward the fancy schmancy Festool. But I wonder what puts it in a different league? It shakes around and makes dust, right? What is it I'm gonna be so impressed about? And is there a big difference between the 125 and 150 (besides an inch)? Will it connect to my shop vac or will I need adapters?

For those of you that have one, how would it work sanding drywall? Have you ever done it, and does it collect the dust well? I don't do that a lot, but I just re-did the bathroom and had to spend $40 on a drywall sander rental. If this eliminates that, it'd be a lot better purchase.

Gordy

Smile

Gordy,
    If you are leaning towards the Festool, go for it!!
    A few years ago I had a PC sander.
    It did not collect dust very well in my opinion.
    I bit the bullet and purchased the Festool RO 125.
    The sand paper lasts longer than any other paper I have ever used,
    because the dust extraction and air stream system keep the paper clean!
    In my opinion, You cannot beat the Festool!
    Go for it, you won't be dissapointed, and remember.......
    if you don't like it after 30 days you can return it for a full refund no questions asked!
    HTH
    John
    PS
    1 inch bigger in diameter is an awful bigger surface area!!
    Last edited by John Schumer; 03-04-2008 at 8:44 PM. Reason: spelling

The dust collection (besides keeping you healthy) makes the paper last allot longer. The less crap trapped between the paper and the surface means the paper will not clog as easy and you are just not grinding dust to make smaller dust and warning out the paper if you follow that. The festool sander has a center hole which blows out air and collects it on the outer holes that helps prevent suck down and keeping the dust moving along with keeping the sanding surface cooler.

Anyhow the important thing is both the 125 and 150 are the same 5" to 6" is something like 25% more sanding area so one inch is allot. But the 125 is much lighter some thing some people like.

The festool sander also has 2 modes a random orbital and more of a spinning mode. The spinning mode you can use to really take down material fast like stripping paint, ruff sanding but will leave marks when you change the transmission on the top to the ros mode it is a much finer sander more like a finishing sander that you are use to. That what makes this sander special is it is really like two tools in one. You can sand and buff, you can even use it as a car buffer.

Ok I am sounding like a festool rep now, honest I have nothing to do with the company. I think most sanders are pretty good now a days the festool is just in a league of it own. I am a hobbyist so it was a big jump for me to get on the festool wagon. Last thing April 1 st festool is going through a price increase not sure of that sander will go up or not just want to warn you if you are leaning that way.
    -=Jason=-

Blog Entries
    Well, your 1/4 sheet and your ROS are different animals. You should decide which you want or get both. The ROS is more aggressive but with VS can bee very versatile. The 1/4 sheet "finishing sander" is a little better for final work(?).

For a ROS I too have the 1295DVSK and contrary to folks reporting that they burn them up; mine is going strong and has the smoothest pattern of any ROS I've used. I picked it up from CPO Bosch as a refurb for about $55 IIRC.

I run a Bosch 1297 for my 1/4 sheet. It accepts the same vac adapter as my ROS.
    The 'sheetloc' paper grabber works very well and the machine is well balanced. They're about $50 new.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-04-2008 at 9:23 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    The dust collection (besides keeping you healthy) makes the paper last allot longer. The less crap trapped between the paper and the surface means the paper will not clog as easy and you are just not grinding dust to make smaller dust and warning out the paper if you follow that. The festool sander has a center hole which blows out air and collects it on the outer holes that helps prevent suck down and keeping the dust moving along with keeping the sanding surface cooler.

Anyhow the important thing is both the 125 and 150 are the same 5" to 6" is something like 25% more sanding area so one inch is allot. But the 125 is much lighter some thing some people like.

The festool sander also has 2 modes a random orbital and more of a spinning mode. The spinning mode you can use to really take down material fast like stripping paint, ruff sanding but will leave marks when you change the transmission on the top to the ros mode it is a much finer sander more like a finishing sander that you are use to. That what makes this sander special is it is really like two tools in one. You can sand and buff, you can even use it as a car buffer.

Ok I am sounding like a festool rep now, honest I have nothing to do with the company. I think most sanders are pretty good now a days the festool is just in a league of it own. I am a hobbyist so it was a big jump for me to get on the festool wagon. Last thing April 1 st festool is going through a price increase not sure of that sander will go up or not just want to warn you if you are leaning that way.
    Yep, 30% more area to sand with on a 6" sander.

To clarify, only the Festool Rotex sanders have the dual functions of random orbital mode vs. rotary sanding mode. I would also submit that if you purchase a Rotex model, you would never need to consider buying a belt sander (as if anyone uses them......???). I haven't used my belt sander since I built my boat 3 years ago. Might be time to refinish an old piece of furniture just to use it again.
    Last edited by John Hain; 03-04-2008 at 9:45 PM.

FWIW, I have went through a Makita 1/4 sheet, Craftsman VS 5" ROS, and am on my 2nd PC 333 5" ROS in about the last 7 years. I have decided my next sander will be a Festool. I am anticipating improved dust collection and durability with the Festool.

I am hoping my PC lasts long enough to work through my inventory of 5" hook and loop sandpaper, I don't plan on buying any more paper for the PC, but have almost full 50 ct boxes of Klingspor paper in 5 grits that will be for sale if my PC meets an early death. I have had it apart countless times and canibalized parts of the first unit I owned.

Just my current thought process related to a ROS....I hope it helps you with your decision.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.