Thread: Painting a stove

Painting a stove

Last Christmas we had all the kids return home for a few days during the holidays. One of them decided to help in the kitchen. He/she (not sure which, and I didn't want to ask since that would ruin all of his/her good intentions) must have cleaned some food spatters from our white baked-on enameled range top with a steel wool SOS pad. In the process it scratched the finish. Didn't look too bad, but you could tell it was scratched if you looked closely. Well, now it is starting to look like rust under the reflector pans.

Is there anything that I can do to seal or refinish this. I know they make high temp paint in black, but I have used it on grills and it still discolors some. Not sure if they make it in a gloss white but even then any discoloring would probably look even worse than it does now.

A new range top runs about $190, so I figure I would be willing to spend $120 on a fix if you are pretty sure it would work and willing to gamble $50 on a maybe it would work solution. Those are my general working numbers. Any ideas?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I admire your determination but I think your math or the amout you value your time is off. For the $70 diff, why not just get a new one ?
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Charlie,
    Car body rubbing compound may help hide the scratches if they aren't too bad.
    David B

At one time they made touch up paint in spray cans for appliances. I can remember working at Sears in the warehouse. On occassion, we'd have to touch one up where the waxed cardboard inside the shipping container had roughed up the surface it touched due to vibration during shipment. Check with a local dealer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

There are several brands of epoxy paint (rattle can) made for appliances. We did a stove years ago with it (was avacado!) and it looked fine for years. That was with the Krylon. The stove top area was chrome so we didn't have to worry about the heat. In your case they do make a high heat paint too.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/kryl...aint-c9s5.html

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green