Thread: Grizzly G0548 2hp Dust Collector

Grizzly G0548 2hp Dust Collector

I'm convinced that I need to get a good dust collection system, especially with my workshop in my basement, but I don't have tons of money to throw at one. Overall, it seems like the 2hp Grizzly is a good option. Will this do a good job of collecting all of the really fine dust that Bill Pentz talks about? I will only be using one machine at a time, and I don't produce all that much sawdust. Also, will the cartridge filter on one of these machines last very long, or will it suffer too many impacts from larger particles due to the lack of a separator? Finally, I've seen a lot of good and bad comments about the trashcan separators. Would this machine, rated by Grizzly at 1700 CFM, work with a trashcan separator, or would it just pull everyting out of the can? My last question is, could I get away with a 1.5 hp (115V) machine with a canister and still collect the dangerous dust? The longest runs will be about 10', and I'll be using 6" metal pipe for everything, with the least amount of flex hose possible. Thanks guys, there's so much information out there, and it seems like some are doing completely fine with a $200 system, while others say that you MUST have a cyclone.

I have been using a trash can separator for a while and it works pretty good. I have not seen one that accepts 6" pipe, though. All the ones I have seen, including my own, only accept 4". For a 6" system you would have to make your own like this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408

Alex... I have the G0548 and its an excellent Dust Collector. I dont have a chip seperator hooked up yet, so I cant advise you there, but I can tell you the G0548 is very powerful and very nicely made. I had a smaller Delta DC before getting the Grizzly and when I turned on the Griz the first time after hooking it to the hoses I already had installed, The Griz sucked all the dust left behind from the Delta. It was quite a bit, covered the bottom of the bag.

You ask about the life of the filter. If you have been looking around here much at can seperator threads, you probably have seen the threads from Phil Thien. I will link a thread from him at the bottom of this response. He has a seperator lid design that works very good from what other here have said. The baffle can be adapted to the dust collector to keep the large chunks from getting into the filter and causing impact damage.

I also have a basement shop and would recommend this collector. I wouldnt go cheap here. Dust collection is important for you and your family. The canister collectors are the way to go because you get so much more filter area than the bag type filters. This is important because it allows more CFMs, and higher CFMs collect the fine dust better. With a filter bag, it needs to be so large to equal the canister, that in a basement shop, with low ceilings, it can be a problem.Look at the specs of the higher powered bag type collectors and you will notice the overall height to be 85+ inches. The cannister collectors are around 72" My shop has 76" of clearance, so this was important to me as well.

Last... if you can modify the ports of your machines to 5 or 6" you will have better results with collection. I see you are already considering 6" to the machines, but then necking down to 4" for the machine ports? Stay with 5 or 6" into the machines. The performance will be much better. I have a Delta cabinet saw with a 4" port and dust collection from inside the cabinet was pretty bad. I couldnt run 6" pipe to the saw, for various reasons, so I added a complete second 4" line into the saw cabinet. It has made an amazing difference, so consider this also as a way to increase the flow if needed. Here are the links to Phils Threads:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69765
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74713