Thread: repair or replace?

repair or replace?

I'm just wondering how many here repair their power tools or replace them as they wear out. We have two Dewalt palm sanders at work that have both broken in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if we're going to try to get them fixed or just scrap them and buy new. I know I have repaired some things in the past (drill motors, skilsaws as well as sanders) but it seems that most things are made to just be replaced these days.
    I have a craftsman router that the bearings are worn out and there is side by side movement with the shaft. I'd like to just get a new Porter Cable but can't spring the bucks at this time.
    How do you guys feel about this, and if you repair, do you do it yourself? or send it out?

I will repair stuff that I can get the parts for, but I don't send broken tools out for repair. Generally, the labor cost, added to the parts cost, will nearly equal - and some times actually exceed the cost of a new tool.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Pat,
    One of my passions is breathing new life into dead tools, machines and appliances. Many today aren't designed to repair. Much cheaper to toss it and buy new. Many times the repairs won't hold up so, "time is money” What is your time worth.An old timer in electronics told me when I was just starting out 30 years ago. "They may get your money eventually. Don't be afraid to take a swing at it”.That being said there are many that have no business with a tool in the hands. The have the manure touch! Everything they come in contact with turns to SH**.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-16-2004 at 8:54 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I do exactly as Jim does for the same reasons.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    I will repair stuff that I can get the parts for, but I don't send broken tools out for repair. Generally, the labor cost, added to the parts cost, will nearly equal - and some times actually exceed the cost of a new tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    .How do you guys feel about this, and if you repair, do you do it yourself? or send it out?
    I agree with David and Jim to a point. I guess it depends on the tool, my TS, or planer, or jointer, BS, that's one thing, but sanders, etc, I think fall into the throw away catagory.

My 2 cents,

Rick

I agree with the feelings that for small tools the price dictates toss and replace if the repair is beyond something simple like replacing the wire or switch. Be aware, that in many cases, the bearings on a electric router are pressed on. To remove and replace you will probably need a hydraulic press.
    Possumpoint

If you have the time and inclination, go ahead and try and fix them. If you run into a wall, all you spent is an hour or so opening them up and seeing what is wrong.
    The real issue is parts. How much and how available. I have a sears 15.6v drill that I've had for about 5 years and really like. Been a real workhorse. It has developed a problem in that the drill stays on after you release the trigger. A new trigger assembly is over 40 bucks not including shipping. Once you get to that stage, you have to wonder if it is worth spending the money to fix it.

Not long ago, I had some problems with my cman finishing nailer. Ended up ordering a "Trigger rebuild kit" from sears. Took the gun apart, and none of the o-rings came close to what was in the gun. No diagrams with it either. I managed to find the owners manual with the exploded view and worked from that. Somehow, I got the gun back together and it worked, though I don't know for how long since I nicked at least a couple of o-rings putting it back together. I went to Harbor freight and picked up an o-ring kit and will probably try again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    I'm just wondering how many here repair their power tools or replace them as they wear out. We have two Dewalt palm sanders at work that have both broken in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if we're going to try to get them fixed or just scrap them and buy new. I know I have repaired some things in the past (drill motors, skilsaws as well as sanders) but it seems that most things are made to just be replaced these days.
    I have a craftsman router that the bearings are worn out and there is side by side movement with the shaft. I'd like to just get a new Porter Cable but can't spring the bucks at this time.
    How do you guys feel about this, and if you repair, do you do it yourself? or send it out?

If parts are available and the machine is otherwise in good condition, I'd make the fix. But if the part cost more than a reasonable percentage of the tool replacement cost...I'll replace the tool. So far, I've been lucky. In five years, I've only had to repair on PC 333 sander and one PC7518 router. In both cases, the part(s) I needed were off the shelf. I also replaced a part on my previous jointer and that was also an easy job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    I do exactly as Jim does for the same reasons.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney

So do I.

Ted