Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WD-40 In Finishing/Refininshing Process????

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I clean my contacts with it, then everything I've refinished with it looks better!

The one thing I understand about WD-40 and finishes, is don't go near a car painter with a can of it. You'll die a slow and painful death. One can of WD-40 in a body shop could ruin untold number of paint jobs. Painters get real upset if they have to strip and repaint a car. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

A long time ago I used some Rustoleum Thinning Oil to mix with Rustoleum paint. the Rustoleum Oil is the one with the fish oil in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    The one thing I understand about WD-40 and finishes, is don't go near a car painter with a can of it. You'll die a slow and painful death. One can of WD-40 in a body shop could ruin untold number of paint jobs. Painters get real upset if they have to strip and repaint a car. Jim.
    Hey Jim,
    Armor All will get ya the same treatment...DAMKHIT.

Greg

I hate the smell of WD-40!

Composition of WD-40

[QUOTE=Greg Cole;793890]"I've heard of alot of odd uses for WD-40. Finishing furniture isn't one of the many, and I'd think with the #1 ingredient being a fish oil..."

In the US, fish oil is not listed in the top 90% of ingredients.

[QUOTE=Arly Helm;2668696]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    "I've heard of alot of odd uses for WD-40. Finishing furniture isn't one of the many, and I'd think with the #1 ingredient being a fish oil..."

In the US, fish oil is not listed in the top 90% of ingredients.
    1st Wlecome!

2nd debunked in post #7
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Many years back I attended the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto, a big livestock show where your best is shown for prizes. I got to walk through the back stalls where animals were getting their last minute "makeup" before presentation. I was amazed to see cans of wd40 everywhere and could spell it in the air. Apparently it was being use to make the coats look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    WD40 supposedly contains DMSO a powerful natural solvent. It is often used on horses to loosen up muscles and help with pain. I use to know a heavy equipment mechanic that swore by WD40 as a pain reliever. He had his wife spray his back with WD40 every night. He is still alive so must not be to bad. I have used DMSO gel for pain and it works but is pretty hard on the skin. Far as furniture I have no idea. I don't think I would want to try to spray a finish over wood wiped with WD40.

Good Luck

Alan