Thread: Rikon Bandsaw Upper Wheel Wobble

Blog Entries

Rikon Bandsaw Upper Wheel Wobble

I have had the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw for a little over a year now. I was switching out blades this week and noticed something strange.

The upper wheel has a noticeable wobble to it. I was grabbing the wheel at the 9 and 3 position and gently tugged back and forth. It was there with and without a blade installed, with and without tension, and both high and low tension on the blade. Almost like there wasn't something tight enough, but I checked and all bolts are tight. It seems to be there when its running too, by noticing a little blurring to the blade. The bottom wheel has no wobble.

I think this is leading to my next problem, which is tracking. I've noticed that when I'm adjusting the tracking, so that blade is moving to the back of wheel, I have pretty fine control over the adjustments. However, when I'm adjusting the other way, I adjust the tracking nut and nothing happens until a loud pop and the blade lurches to the front of the wheel. There's no in between control.

This is making tracking a difficult set up, plus when I de-tension with the lever arm, and then re-tension it back almost immediately, it no longer tracks in the same spot.

I could only imagine all this is related to the wobble.

So, is this wobble normal or something I need to address? And if so, how?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy I have that same saw. In fact I have two but that is another story I'll address later.

I only have 1 saw running at this time and have no trouble tensioning and de-tensioning the blade in relationship to tracking. I have noticed that when I adjust for tracking I may have to "slap" the tracking knob to get it to loosen the wheel.

I'd call Rikon and describe the problem to them as it should track in the same place on the wheels each time you re-tension the blade.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Something is wrong

I have the same saw. The tracking adjustment and blade tension release are quite smooth, no jerkiness or hanging up. The only thing I did was to put a little grease on the faces of the tensioning mechanism cams but that shouldn't affect the tilt mechanism of the top wheel. It might be worth a call to Rikon and see if it's a known problem.

HTH

Curt

Blog Entries
    I was on the phone today with Rikon Tech Support and we tried a few things out. It seems the wobble stems from a machine screw that is just not tightening down enough. Its the screw that holds the axle to the frame. Its this axle that allows the wheel to tilt back and forth which ultimately changes the tracking of the blade. So I'm going to throw an additional washer there to allow the screw to set tighter.

I also liberally sprayed WD-40 last night before going to bed. I think it did a little bit of magic. This afternoon I tightened down that screw and tried the tracking again, and there is no more herky-jerky lurching blade movements. So that's good, I'll probably have to throw some grease around to make that permanent.

For any other Rikon owners, if you can check out that machine screw and let me know if its tight or if you can still move the wheel assembly around, I'd like to know.

BTW, the tech support was really fast, responsive, and knowledgeable. So kudos to Rikon so far.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

If the screw is intended to be 'locked' in place you could take it out and clean it of oil. Then apply a drop of blue locktite. That should hold it in place even if the saw vibrates.

Michael

Blog Entries

Smile Problem Solved

Long story short. The wobble is supposed to be there. It's an integral part of the tension quick release function. DAMHIKT, but if you do manage to mitigate the wobble by a series of washers, you will lose your quick release tensioning ability. I did, however, leave a lock washer under each screw to keep them from coming loose again.

But my fine control of tracking is back now. All due to the WD-40 that did its thing. From talking with Rikon (and ignoring my own ideas) its a good idea to occasionally clean out the crud and add grease to the area shown in the pic. It'll be easier to get out if the upper wheel is off and the tension is released.

Hope this helps someone...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Thanks for the tips, Randy. I just got one of these saws and have yet to set it up. I'll keep this in mind.