Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Frank's Wrkshop: Dust Collection Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Someone (and I profusely apologize that I forget who), notified Oneida of my leaning unit problems and pointed them to this thread.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from Oneida and that told me that the support brackets that had been supplied to me were incorrect (they are intended for the 1.5 hp unit). The brackets that I should have used do, indeed, match those in their manual. The lady that I spoke to said that they are going to send me the correct brackets free of charge (and she already knew enough to tell UPS that I did not pay for them so I will not be charged brokerage and tax).

I am not looking forward to the task of remounting the cyclone, but it does give me the excuse that I need to get my friends back and to mount the unit higher on the wall.
    It was me Frank. I emailed Heather at Oneida and she immediately recognized the problem and set about to fix it. They are good people to work with. Glad it will get your buddies back ( I am sure the brew and snacks are enough to draw their attention!) to help you raise it higher.

Way to go Mike. It is good to know that Oneida is going to take care of Frank's "leaning filter".

Now if I have any strange stuff like that I know they will take care of it.

Frank, I am glad you will be moving your unit up higher. I am working on having mine as a straight shot from the unit. No bends until reaching a drop point for tools. I'm thinking I can run 7" for the total run and not drop down dimensionally until the drops to the tools. I am also thinking of mounting my filter horizontally and making a 90 at the bottom and then mount the dust collector there. I'm going to check with Oneida on that part of my plan.
    I hope we will get more pictures, Frank.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Way to go Mike. It is good to know that Oneida is going to take care of Frank's "leaning filter".

Now if I have any strange stuff like that I know they will take care of it.

Frank, I am glad you will be moving your unit up higher. I am working on having mine as a straight shot from the unit. No bends until reaching a drop point for tools. I'm thinking I can run 7" for the total run and not drop down dimensionally until the drops to the tools. I am also thinking of mounting my filter horizontally and making a 90 at the bottom and then mount the dust collector there. I'm going to check with Oneida on that part of my plan.
    I hope we will get more pictures, Frank.

Karl
    Karl, I don't think mounting the filter horizontally is a good idea. Gravity is your friend here for getting the dust to the collection pan. There would be no way to get a lot of the dust out of the filter if it were laying on it's side. It would eventually fill up or at least the bottom of it would before the back pressure would start building.

I'm with Mike...the filters are designed to work best mounted vertically...cleaning them out properly will be a problem with a horizontal mounting position since you lose gravity. Besides, the fines pan connects directly to the bottom of the filter and is not made to accept duct work.

New cyclone mounting bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Someone (and I profusely apologize that I forget who), notified Oneida of my leaning unit problems and pointed them to this thread.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from Oneida and that told me that the support brackets that had been supplied to me were incorrect (they are intended for the 1.5 hp unit). The brackets that I should have used do, indeed, match those in their manual. The lady that I spoke to said that they are going to send me the correct brackets free of charge (and she already knew enough to tell UPS that I did not pay for them so I will not be charged brokerage and tax).

I am not looking forward to the task of remounting the cyclone, but it does give me the excuse that I need to get my friends back and to mount the unit higher on the wall.
    The new bracket is here and I am planning to remount the cyclone soon (maybe by myself, maybe with help). Three photos are attached.
    (1) the proper mounting bracket for the Oneida 2hp commercial unit
    (2) the improper mounting brackets that were originally supplied to me
    (3) the motor (hard wired) which is currently dismounted and sitting on a somewhat mobile support stack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

D#mn Frank looks like Homer Simpson building a ladder, be careful when moving that motor around. I don't suppose that the bottom cabinet is modular units stacked one on top of the other is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    D#mn Frank looks like Homer Simpson building a ladder, be careful when moving that motor around. I don't suppose that the bottom cabinet is modular units stacked one on top of the other is it?
    The bottom cabinet is a real cabinet with drawers, not modular units. The whole thing is more stable than it looks but, nevertheless, I am being very carefull with it and am not moving the "stack" very much.

Thanks Mike and Jim,

I did ask Oneida about the horizontal mount and it was the same answer as yours. I also asked about running the 7" duct all the way to the end of the run, which would be about 20'. No go on that either. 10' run max on 7" before you start to lose suction. Sometimes my brain works too much and things sound really good, but aren't feasible. That's why it's good to be able to have a place like the Creek to ask opinions.

Oh, Frank, that is a novel way to mount the fan in your last picture. Does it work better than the normal mounting?

Just Kidding!!!
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Hmmm, I have the same brackets that you had for my 2HP Commercial cyclone. As I posted earlier, mine leans also. My manual shows those brackets as being correct. Perhaps mine was before they realized the problem and implemented the killer new bracket. It certainly doesn't seem like it's going to come down, so I won't really worry about it. Plus, I cant afford the big Festool stack needed to remove/replace it right now .

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Well, 20 months after I started this thread, I completed my dust controller installation. That is, last weekend , I finally completed building the vented and insulated closet around the unit. And, I am very happy to say that is really reduces the noise -much moreso than I had expected it to.

I built 4 different vents into the walls and they appear to working well.

Three pictures are attached:

(1) The closet showing enough of the shop to pinpoint its location.

(2) Looking through the door into the closet. The door is only just big enough that I can get the bin and the filter out (and the motor should I ever need to)

(3) The normal position of the scroll saw when the closet door (insulated of course) is closed.

Nice work Frank. 20 months is not bad for a DIY schedule!

So how do you like the Oneida? Is it collecting the fine dust along with the big stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Nice work Frank. 20 months is not bad for a DIY schedule!

So how do you like the Oneida? Is it collecting the fine dust along with the big stuff?
    Thanks Michael. I have no scientic way of measuring the fine dust being collected, but the air certainly seems to be a LOT cleaner than what it used to be in my old shop.

20 mnths. or whatever...Don't think it matters NOW!!! A fine finish to the project and I'm certain the drop in db level is welcomed! Nice install, Frank. I'm sure it will bring you years of pleasure. Now, go make some of that sawdust for the thing to collect!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    20 mnths. or whatever...Don't think it matters NOW!!! A fine finish to the project and I'm certain the drop in db level is welcomed! Nice install, Frank. I'm sure it will bring you years of pleasure.
    Thanks, John.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Now, go make some of that sawdust for the thing to collect!
    I'm doing my best. On Wednesday, I just got back to a "real" woodworking project in the shop for the first time since last March and have already 75% filled the dust collection bin once (that's the level at which I like to dump the bin) and am well on my way to the next dump operation.

I am preparing quarter-sawn white oak boards for a TV cabinet that I am building for and with my friends Terry and Peggy West. We start this weekend and my plan is to do the bulk of the jointing and planing before their arrival Friday night. I am attaching a photo of one of the boards being edge jointed.