Thread: No good deed goes unpunished....

No good deed goes unpunished....

Morning all,
    I may have written a check with my mouth that my a** may have to cash. Not realizing the amount of hassle that would be involved, I offered to donate a handfull of trophies and ribbons to a co-workers Cub Scout pack for their Pinewood Derby. Let me point out that
    1. I am a hobbyist
    2. Not in retail business
    3. The Cub Scout pack would not be purchasing these trophies from a retailer as the cost is too high.
    What I have found is that JDS Industries will not sell me the items since I don't have a Tax ID. The Cub Scout pack has authorized me to purchase with their exemption number but since no tax will be collected (donation) JDS still won't sell to me. I contacted a local trophy shop and asked if I could purchase the parts through them and even offered to pay an additional premium to cover their time but the best they could offer was to sell me the products for the full price (which normally includes engraving). What's a brother to do? I'm going to have to withdraw my offer since I see no way to get it done with the money I was prepared to spend. Any ideas to help me get this done would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Jim, when do you need these trophies?
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Cub Scout Trophies

Hi Jim;
    About 20 different ways to skin this cat-give me a call and will give you my account number. I can't stand it when bureaucracy gets in the way of progress, especially for a worthy cause.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    585-924-4519

What if you cut your own trophies out of wood. Riser of different sizes engraved with places holder, date and event name. Maybe car shape or just BSA Emblem. Mount riser to wood base plate.

We had someone make something like this for our sailing club. I can get a picture of sample when I get home tonight if you would like. Cost was like cheep using scrap wood.

There was a recent post showing how to do this in acrylic.

Regards
    GDG

No good deed goes unpunished

James; I have a lot of Black Cherry 3.75" wide .25" thick X 12" long. It's prime stuff and engraves nice. I cut it with my 35W Epilog too. Send me your address and I'll send you a box UPS. You can see some of the stuff I've done with it at: http://www.PictureTrail.com/razaxnstuff

6. JDS order

I will be happy to place the order for you.... just cover the actual cost and the re-shipping. I live in Illinois and get next day shipping from JDS Chicago.... I could ship it along the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Wolfe View Post
    What I have found is that JDS Industries will not sell me the items since I don't have a Tax ID.
    Easy solution - get a tax id. It takes about 5 minutes and is no big deal.

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for suggestions to get me out of my jam. I've decided to take Nicole's offer and have forwarded info to her. I knew I could count on a sympathetic Creeker.

Thanx,

Jim

No need to reship, just have her tell JDS to ship it to your address.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

10. Smile Thanks

Thanks for the info, I actually had thought of that myself and called them.. they said No Problem.. Jim, I sent you an email, need your shipping address.

E-mail Ooops

Nicole,
    The e-mail address in my profile has been closed due to excessive spam. I updated my info in the profile. My address is
    Jim Wolfe
    4900 Waterloo Road
    Burlington, KY 41005

Thanx,
    Jim

Thumbs up Thanks to the Creek, the races are on !

Thanks to all the Creekers who helped me solve this problem, the Cub Scouts will be racing Friday night. Thanks to:
    • Vicky
    • George
    • George
    • Ray
    • Nicole
    • Gary
    • Scott