Thread: Bookcase bench design ideas sought

Bookcase bench design ideas sought

I want to build a freestanding, low bookcase that will also be a bench for people to sit on. I plan to have a cushion made for the top. Basically I want it to look like a window seat, but not be built in (because of the placement of vents I don't want to do a build in). It will be about 6' long, and seat hight (18-20 inches high) and maybe 15" deep. I will probably use plywood and a face frame type design.

So my question is, will this work with normal book case construction techniques -- i.e., dados for the top and bottom and a screwed on plywood back to provide rigidity. Or do I need something stronger to withstand the weight of a person. I would probably put a vertical support every 2 feet.

Also, do you think this will be tippy? In my experience bookcases tend to be tippy, but then they are 5+ ft tall and this will be very short.

Thanks for any help and ideas.

--Dave

Is the bookcase portion underneath the seat? You might consider an Arts & Crafts approach. Simple, very sturdy construction. You wouldn't have to use oak, you could use whatever material you want to use. I would make the bench strong enough for two people to sit on and withstand racking motion (people shifting their weight from end to end of the seat).

David,

The photo below is a chest/window seat I recently completed on consignment for a client. It could easily be adapted to your use. It is inexpensive--poplar frames and plywood panels. (I did use maple for the main legs, however.) The stiles--which extend to the floor for added strength--are attached with half-lap joints to the lower rails and with dowels to the top rails.

This chest is 42 inches wide and about 17 inches high. It is not at all "tippy," even when sitting on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images