Thread: Craftsman Lathe 101-06260

Craftsman Lathe 101-06260

I have dug out my Dad's Craftsman (101-06260) lathe that he purchased in the 40's. I know about ABC but sentiment still prevails. I've cleaned it up, sharpened the tools but I only have one center drive and it is in dreadful shape. I believe the taper is Brown and Sharpe #7 (it's not MT #2). I considered reaming the existing taper to MT #2. The large end of the existing taper is smaller than MT #2 but the small end of the existing taper is larger than the small end of MT #2. Therefore, after reaming, the mating surface of a new MT #2 drive would be less than the length of the drive resulting in, possibly, not sufficient friction surface to hold the drive under power. Any suggestions on replacing the drive?

James, are you sure it's not an MT1 taper? Sears still has some parts available for _some_ of their old iron...

Sorry, I am at work and don't remember my lathe's model number, but it is an inherited 1950s vintage tube lathe and I was able to order some parts I needed ( including new drive center and tail centers ) from the parts section of their website. It still does ok for me because I am still a novice at turning. I have not tried pens yet (waiting to get a Jet 1220 VS)...

Hope this helps.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, Troy, for your response. The info available to me is that MT #1 is .4750 to .3690. The Craftsman taper, using my no so accurate caliper. is .7188 to .5938 which is very close to B&S #7 of .720 to .600. That is why I think it is a B&S#7 taper. I checked the Sears tool web site and it responded with nothing available for 101-06260 and my web search found no drives with a B&S taper. I hate to scrap this monster, it's solid cast iron, but I may have to.

don't scrap it yet....

James, ok so I am not as smart as I thought...

There is a website (of course, the name escapes me) that specializes in the restoration of older woodworking machinery.

If I may make the suggestion, you should copy and paste your original post to the "Turning Forum". They have got a bunch of very smart individuals there that will have you up and running in no time at all. They can point you to the website that I can not seen to remember, as well as advise you how much effort you will be expending to get up and running. There are guys there that restore lathes from the early 1930s, so a 1940s vintage Craftsman should be easy for them!

Troy

What is the spindle size ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Manual (??) and other info

James,

Sorry it took me so long to find (hopefully) some information for you.

I think Atlas was the name of the company that made Sears lathes back in the day...

I found a manual for an Atlas Lathe that was also sold under the Craftsman brand name. I am not sure if this yours or not...

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/...-parts-manual/

I hope that is your lathe... if not I am still looking in my roundabout way

Also the Old Wood Working Machines website has a bunch of folks who love the old iron and is a place to do some research in, also.

http://www.owwm.org/

Hope that helps you out a bit... Don't give it up yet!!

Troy
    Last edited by Troy Donson; 03-07-2008 at 6:29 AM.

Thank you Troy and Scott. I just realized, in my fog of inexperience, that I posted this inquiry to the wrong forum. I am so far from lathing pens! What a warm welcome to a obviously great fraternity. My name is really David James. I chose James David because there was another member registered as David James. I did not wish to embaress him, which I obviously would have.

Not to worry

David,

I have recently just started posting after just "lurking" around and have saved at _least_ 2-4 weeks of shop time just reading the tips on what to do as well as what -not- to do while building my wife her Hickory Bookshelf...

The people here are like the friends I had in high school, they are always here waiting to help...

As an aside, alot of folks in the turning forum will ask to see pictures of your lathe to try and identify it. An inexpensive digial camera (I use a Canon A-560) is a real help in asking for help as well as posting your "Gloat" pictures that you will take after you have made your first successfull project.

I am a real "Newbie" here, but if I can help, just ask...

BTW Welcome to the Creek.

Troy

manual for the 101-06260 lathe

Quote Originally Posted by James David View Post
    I have dug out my Dad's Craftsman (101-06260) lathe that he purchased in the 40's. I know about ABC but sentiment still prevails. I've cleaned it up, sharpened the tools but I only have one center drive and it is in dreadful shape. I believe the taper is Brown and Sharpe #7 (it's not MT #2). I considered reaming the existing taper to MT #2. The large end of the existing taper is smaller than MT #2 but the small end of the existing taper is larger than the small end of MT #2. Therefore, after reaming, the mating surface of a new MT #2 drive would be less than the length of the drive resulting in, possibly, not sufficient friction surface to hold the drive under power. Any suggestions on replacing the drive?

Do you happen to have a copy of the owners manual for the lathe? I would be happy to pay you for a copy, as I have tried to find one even over in England with no luck. Thanks. Gregg