Thread: Changing a Drill Chuck

Changing a Drill Chuck

I have 2 Ryobi 18v li-ion drills with keyless chucks. When using a drill bit in metal, the keyless chucks dont hold the bit firmly enough. I read in the owners manual to open the chuck all the way and remove the screw inside and then chuck an allen wrench and sharply rap it counter-clockwise to remove the chuck. Well, guess what? I cant get the chuck to loosen. I have tried to use the motor and battery to hold against the rotation, that didnt work. Its right hand threaded, not left. I have a new Jacobs keyed chuck to replace it with, if I can get it off. Should I just try and find a keyed chuck with a hex shaft and chuck it in the stock chuck? Help.

Buy a new drill. I replaced a chuck in a DeFalt drill it was a pain in the butt and not worth the effort. Probably especially true for a Ryobi drill.

Don't know if this will help you or not but I use a air impact wrench(gun). just a few short bursts and it's off. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

It should come off in the manner you describe, Lance. That's exactly how the Hitachi drills I use come off with the exception corded models don't have the screw.. but the battery boys do.

Don't try to vise it.. just use a large hex wrench and tighten the chuck as tight as you can get it. Put it between your legs and hold on tight. I use a standard hammer with a very hard and sharp rap. And if it has been on awhile.. it will still fight you.

You might want to put a drop or two of lock free or similar on between the chuck and main drill on the rear of the shaftl. Elevate it to turn down and let it sit awhile to see what happens.

BTW.. I change all my chucks to key types as I have never seen any key-less that will not let the bit slip under enough torque. May be one.. I just haven't seen it I suppose.

Good luck..

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I have 2 Ryobi 18v li-ion drills with keyless chucks. When using a drill bit in metal, the keyless chucks dont hold the bit firmly enough. I read in the owners manual to open the chuck all the way and remove the screw inside and then chuck an allen wrench and sharply rap it counter-clockwise to remove the chuck. Well, guess what? I cant get the chuck to loosen. I have tried to use the motor and battery to hold against the rotation, that didnt work. Its right hand threaded, not left. I have a new Jacobs keyed chuck to replace it with, if I can get it off. Should I just try and find a keyed chuck with a hex shaft and chuck it in the stock chuck? Help.

It should come off in that procedure. The trick to it is when you rap on it, it is like you are trying to just break the connection. A quick knock on the Allen wrench should help to break it free. I use the biggest Allen wrench I have in my collection, in particular the longest one to get the most force on the chuck. It should come loose then, and you can screw the Jacobs on.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.