Thread: Cake Topper Question?

Cake Topper Question?

I made a heart-shaped clear mirrored acrylic cake topper with the interlocking wedding rings that Keith offered here. Presented it to a local, successful cake decorator. It was roughly 4x4 with a 2.5" spike, which made it 4x6.5" over all. She like it and was thrilled that someone local can do this, but....

She wants monograms (no problem) with 6"spikes to get the monogram above the bouquet of flowers she puts on top. Seems like a lot of wasted acrylic and I'd have to charge her for that waste. Is there a solution of clipping a spike or inserting one or two brass rods. Which will be detachable and the couple can place these monograms it a shadow box for display after the wedding or event?

If there is no way of adding a spike, what do they do with these monograms after the event with that long spike on it?

This is a potentially big client I can get, for she is legendary around her for cakes and items that she makes/bakes and decorates.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Anthony-

Try looking at this webpage: http://www.weddingcuts.com/monogram-cake-toppers.asp (are we allowed to post a web location? If not, I'm sorry I will remove it)

They have pix of cake toppers, prices and also offer a metal (removable) spike as well as an attached acrylic spike. You can see how long they made the spikes in the picture. Looks like the acrylic one is much bigger than the metal, so maybe it can be shorter and still support it well? Of course, you want them to rise above the flowers - can't she attach a short spike to a florists spike like you see in floral arrangements?

Meanwhile, if the price of a cake topper is $20 or more, and you don't need a full (approx. $20/12"x24") sheet of acrylic mirror to make it, seems like you can make a decent profit, making at least 8 from one sheet. Also, why can't you make a template with several nested, filling up the size of a sheet, then just cut one at a time as needed, saving the rest of the sheet for another job?

You got me thinking about this, since I have a friend who does wedding planning and cakes, too.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

With mirror inserting can be a problem, you would see them through the front.

I have done something similar, where I cut 1/8" acrylic and glued it up to make a pad to accept the rods. If you have them fit slightly loose, they will pull right out later. You'll still have the pad on the back, though. The rods I got at the local hobby shop. This was for garden art, I don't know if the brass will affect the cake!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif 2.gif (6.1 KB, 24 views)

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You could use 1/4" acrylic rod. It's available in lots of colors too. I just bought a bundle from Delvies and it was pretty inexpensive. Cut a "donut" out of 1/4 inch acrylic with a 1/4 inch inside diameter and a flat spot on one side. Glue the flat side to the back of the monogram and insert the rod. This may not work if they don't want it too look clunky from the back, but the mirrored acrylic already looks funny with the grey paint. If you don't want to glue the rod, heat it up about half an inch down from the top and give it a squeeze to make a bulge the donut can't slip over. I'll bet if you're clever, you can even find a way to use the rods for a display stand for a curio cabinet.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

What if you cut flat spikes and notched the top. install the spike perpendicular to the monogram. may have to put a little notch in the bottom of letters to keep them from sliding off the spikes.

GDG

What do ya think?

This is what I came up with, with your suggestions.

monogram stand.pdf

(I hope it attached!)

Now for the glue, I was thinking that rubbery glue they use when attaching something like a cd to a magazine/book. You know the stuff you can peal off after you take the item off. Where does someone get this and what is it called?
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.