Thread: Opinions on router bits and shaper cutters sought

Opinions on router bits and shaper cutters sought

I recently received a catalog from Price Cutter and am contemplating purchasing some bits from them..anyone had any experience with their bits or shaper cutters...I'm not entirely sure what to make of it..the prices on some of their stuff seems relatively inexpensive...my past experiences with relatively inexpensive router bits has been very mixed, so I am intrigued but scared...

I've got some cheap router bits; I like them as trial samples. As others have said, buy a set of cheap bits just to try them out. The ones you find yourself wearing out are good bets to buy the good ones of.

I've been very happy with MLCS router bits. MLCS has good prices, good bits, and free shipping. If you absolutely need the high end bits, their Katana line is top shelf.

No experience with Price Cutter.

If I'm not mistaken, Price Cutter is the "value" outlet for Eagle America. I have not used the Price Cutter cutters, but do have a number of Eagle bits that I'm very pleased with. I generally buy Eagle or Infinity except for things like panel raisers where I prefer the Freud 2+2 design for really clean cutting. (They have a new, similar design on some edge profiles now that I have to check out)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Price Cutter used to offer two lines...it seems they may be phasing the cheaper line out. Both lines are better IMO than their name would suggest. Seems strange to have a name that understates quality if that's what your product is....not the smartest marketing move for decent quality stuff. The black bits are actually pretty darn good IMHO. Their green "Bargain Bits" are fairly comparable to MLCS, Griz, Woodcraft, Hickory, etc...decent, but the black one's are a step up....not a Whiteside or Infinity, but more on par with Katana, Lee Valley, maybe CMT. Unfortunately, their regular price is on the high side, plus they charge shipping. They do have frequent sales, and alot of profiles, but for more common profiles the price plus s/h rarely competes well enough to get me away from the American made Whiteside, or Freud, Infinity, or even the Holbren bits for midrange bargains.

Price Cutter is associated with Eagle America, which are very highly rated and most are said to be made by Whiteside... but I haven't tried any yet.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-08-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I haven't heard of price-cutter. I've used Freud & Whiteside bits in a Fein 3HP router mounted in a BenchDog table to trim our house - and the bits don't seem dull yet.