Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DW735. I'm feeling gloatish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Fred - any pics or tips on building the planer into your bench as you mentioned? I'm going to build a new bench and was thinking of this approach for my planer and also for my CMS - some sort of false-top and a way of moving each tool into place when needed. Given how heavy the DW is though, I might mount it to a wheeled stand and find some way to 'roll' it into place in the middle of the bench.
    John, here is a photo essay I did on my bench upgrade that included the installation of the DeWalt planer into it.
    http://leatheruppers.blogspot.com/20...h-upgrade.html
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fuller View Post
    To be honest, anything less than absolutely mirror perfect and I swap 'em due to the work I do.
    Maybe expectations give rise to the variation in reported knife life span. I and most of the other local woodworkers I know use the jointer and planer to convert rough-sawn stock into dimensioned lumber. The surface on dimensioned lumber purchased from any good lumber yard is not of suitable quality for finishing, and I don't expect anything better from my planer (although admittedly a brand-new set of knives comes darn close! )

Generally I fully expect that any exposed surface after stock prep with a jointer and planer will need additional preparation - planing, scraping and/or sanding - prior to applying a finish.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Hello, new to the site, I just used my DW735 last week for the first time. I was planing cypress. The blades didn't last through the second board. At first I thought I was overloading it but realized I was being very careful not to take off too much at a time. I went by our local Dewalt store here in S. Ms. and they had no knowledge of blade problems. I've read Dewalt has knowledge of the problem and is working to correct it. I waited too late today to call the factory myself, as I heard they would send replacement blades. Maybe there was just a bad lot of them and some of us just drew a bad set. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Last edited by Ron McAllister; 03-28-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: mistype

Ron, I don't think that's it. I've had this planer for at least 2 years - bought one as soon as they came out. Have gone through at least 15-20 sets of blades. DeWalt knew *exactly* what they were doing when they designed the blades like they did - create a consumable and rake in the profits. After this planer is gone I'll never buy another DeWalt tool.

Some people report being on the same set of blades for a year...all I have to say to that is either they don't use the machine a whole lot, or their definition of acceptable results are very different from mine. Either way I know that if I run 100 BF of 4/4 maple through mine, just getting it S4S with 1/4 crank turns each pass, by the end the edges are fuzzing out and ragged and I'll have tearout. And that's consistantly...every set of blades I've gotten from them.

Well hopefully they will do something. I have a lot of Dewalt tools, If they can't rectify the problem, I may switch too. I'm going to take the blades to a friend of mine at a machine shop where I used to work. He knows a lot about metallurgy. Maybe we'll do a skin cut on the dull side and heat treat them and try that, or heat treat the dull side and do a skin cut sharpen or a .005 or less hollow grind. If he thinks it will make the steel too brittle we won't even try it.
    Last edited by Ron McAllister; 03-29-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: mispell

Dustin, the sale runs through the end of March so...not a lot of time left. I'm pretty sure it's nationwide; it's also on their website.

Sorry, I realized later that this thread is a gloat and the guy is excited about his new tool. Didn't mean to rain in his parade - I'm sure it will work out fine and you WILL be very very happy with the finish this planer produces. I'm just so burnt at DeWalt for profiteering and crippling an otherwise good design...my animosity kind of overflowed.

Blog Entries
    Great deal and way to go on coupon perseverance. My dad has one and loves it. I am confused about the infeed and outfeed tables though. Granted I was trying to help out dad over the phone but, there appears to be no way to adjust the height(?). If they are fixed, I'd be tempted to just build my own to be able to adjust for snipe. Anybody figure this out? Am I off base here?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Great deal and way to go on coupon perseverance. My dad has one and loves it. I am confused about the infeed and outfeed tables though. Granted I was trying to help out dad over the phone but, there appears to be no way to adjust the height(?). If they are fixed, I'd be tempted to just build my own to be able to adjust for snipe. Anybody figure this out? Am I off base here?

Glenn, I'm not sure if they are fixed but as I mentioned before, you can just cut a nice flat piece of MDF to whatever length you desire and run your wood on top of it. Cost ya about $3 and works as well or better than the wings. I've run mine that way for a couple years now.

735 blades

Ok guys,
    which lunchbox planer has the best blades?

Makita, Delta, Rigid?, ( new Craftsman???)

I'm was ready to go with the Lowes( or Amazon-no tax/free shipping deal-same price) but the much maligned blade issue has me put off.
    Please weigh in with best recommendation ( INCLUDING) maintenance/mileage cost( ala automobiles...........).

thanks,
    JBP

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Patton View Post
    Ok guys,
    which lunchbox planer has the best blades?

Makita, Delta, Rigid?, ( new Craftsman???)

I'm was ready to go with the Lowes( or Amazon-no tax/free shipping deal-same price) but the much maligned blade issue has me put off.
    Please weigh in with best recommendation ( INCLUDING) maintenance/mileage cost( ala automobiles...........).

thanks,
    JBP
    Find a DW733 and buy 4 sets of blades. You'll be set for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fuller View Post
    Sorry, I realized later that this thread is a gloat and the guy is excited about his new tool. Didn't mean to rain in his parade - I'm sure it will work out fine and you WILL be very very happy with the finish this planer produces. I'm just so burnt at DeWalt for profiteering and crippling an otherwise good design...my animosity kind of overflowed.
    No problem Eric! You didn't rain on my parade. I read many reviews and did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. My needs, undoubtedly, are different from yours. The 735 suits me perfectly and I'm delighted with it. I was concerned about noise from the reviews. That concern turned out to be unfounded (yes, it's loud; but they all are and I wear earmuffs).
    My blades have been fine but I haven't put a lot through it yet. If the dreaded early failure raises its ugly head, I'll buy the ones from Infinity and hope they work better.
    I do most of my woodworking on weekends and don't use the planer every time I'm in the shop/garage so my usage is not on par with a cabinet shop.