Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting and not using Planes

Collecting and not using Planes

How many of you guys out there just collect planes and don't use them? It seems that many on these forums have a TON of planes. Do you actually use them all on a regular basis? Or do you just put them in your trophy case in your shop, with glass doors of course, for all to see how many you've got?

2. I use..

Ok, that sounds bad. I am a confessed user. Most of my work is without power tools, so I use them all. That said, I don't have a lot of duplicates. I see some pics where guys have quite a few of the same style plane. I can see the logic in that it saves setup time if you have multiples, like different bevel angles, or cambered blades vs straight.

Having said that, I'm sure we all have our favorites, and despite how many tools I actually own, I tend to use a few favs more than others.

Eric

I have to admit to having a few that haven't been used yet (other than test cuts) but none of mine were bought with any intention other than using them. Dont have room for a trophy case or a bunch of tools I'll never use, so if ever I realize that something's likely to remain unused, I'll sell it.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    How many of you guys out there just collect planes and don't use them? It seems that many on these forums have a TON of planes. Do you actually use them all on a regular basis? Or do you just put them in your trophy case in your shop, with glass doors of course, for all to see how many you've got?
    I do both. Not much use for a #74 floor plane these days, but when a good deal presented itself, I couldn't resist. It doesn't get used, neither do the #1's, #2's, or the other rare oddball stuff. I do use the regular planes though. No glass doored case here. Working on a pair of nice cabinets to hold all this stuff though. Not sure what you consider a ton of planes. I haven't counted recently, but 200ish in total. (don't tell my wife...)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Not sure what you consider a ton of planes. I haven't counted recently, but 200ish in total. (don't tell my wife...)
    Ok, Steve, what would you consider a ton of planes? 200ish?

Those are gonna be some big cabinets

Says the guy with maybe 10...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I"ve got more than a couple that I don't use # 1,2 3 for example.

Lots are used on a regular basis and I use hand planes on every project. As time goes on I am trying to do more and more with hand tools.

And yes ,I have to confess, have got nice looking plane and saw tills.
    (no glass doors though)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Ok, Steve, what would you consider a ton of planes? 200ish?
    Actually at about 5lbs each it would take about 400.

Yeah I think it would be sensible to use these planes.

Maybe we should rip a native american canoe from a museum and start riding it down the river or we can take civil war rifles and hunt with them If it werent for the conservation of tools little would be known about their history. How many times a month does someone post "What type is my No.5". If it werent for collectors we wouldnt know or care. I have a few planes and some are for use and some are to look at. Why would I pull a $1000 type 1 94 out of the box that hasnt been used ever to trim a tenon when I have a 93 with BOB scratched on the side can do the same job???? Think about it. -Clint

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Jones View Post
    Why would I pull a $1000 type 1 94 out of the box that hasnt been used ever to trim a tenon when I have a 93 with BOB scratched on the side can do the same job???? Think about it. -Clint
    LOL

And thanks for answering my "what type is my No 4" question.

Ciao,

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Classic LOL

"I use..
    I am a confessed user."

"Ok, Steve, what would you consider a ton of planes?"
    "Actually at about 5lbs each it would take about 400."

"Maybe we should rip a native american canoe from a museum and start riding it down the river or we can take civil war rifles and hunt with them."

Do ya suppose in 50 or 60 yrs someone will post the same question on message boards asking about the LNs or the Veritas planes ???

Thats a nice collection Clint. Very impressive indeed.

Grant

I think the real question is why collect anything?

Some people are drawn to certain things, and their personal knowledge is enhanced and increased by collecting and analyzing the objects to which they are attracted too.
    As far as planes go. it seems that a lot of folks sort of fall into collecting them as a way to get the necessary parts, and or the whole tool itself at a cost less than retail, or to a greater extent. to experience a better made tool than may be available any longer through retail means.
    I don't collect planes, but I do have a few that may only ever be used once or twice. (If you find yourself continuously using a model 98 and 99, you might need to invest in a better ruler.,) But I have them for when their eventual intended purpose is required.
    There are a lot worse vices in life than collecting handplanes.

Hey Cliff.
    If you ever find a model 164 with "Mike" scratched into it, that one's mine. I think I lost it.,
    Nice planes bro', thanks for sharing the pics with us.

What a loaded question. Unfair! There are two "schools of thought" here. The "tools are meant to be used" people and the "preservation and conservation" people. Both are valid. An argument between them will never be resolved. So the best thing would be to encourage them understand each other or at least allow them to have their joy, even if you have to do it grudgingly. Unless of course, you just want to start a fight....

YM

The only "collector plane" I have is a transitional #26 that just plain needs a whole new wood portion to make it work correctly. It was a poor purchase on my part, but it does look kewel on the shelf. I really only buy tools that I intend to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why is there necessarily a dichotomy between being a collector and being a user? The way I look at it, I should only be concerned with the book value of a rare plane if I actually intend on selling it one day. I know that for my tools, that's just not going to happen.

I could draw a comparison to my guitars. I've been playing guitar for 25 years now, and one of my favorites is a 1938 Epiphone Broadway archtop. By any stretch of the imagination, this is a collectors item, although not as pricey as a Gibson L-5 of the same era. Even the construction of this guitar is relatively rare -- my Epiphone Broadway has walnut sides and back, as opposed to the much more common mahogany, maple, or rosewood. In fact, I can't think of another archtop that used walnut for the sides and back. I did buy it in part because I knew this was a guitar that I probably wouldn't run across again (and I haven't, not even on eBay or any other internet source for vintage guitars), and because of the age and materials used.

On the other hand, out of my guitars, my Epiphone Broadway is the most "collectible", and I play this guitar more than any other that I have, and have no hesitation in doing so. And it's not like I don't have other guitars to play.

So does that make me a collector or user? I think it's a little of both. I don't see why the same can't go for my tools.