Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for engraving turned wooden pen

Blog Entries

Need advice for engraving turned wooden pen

I am researching a project I am thinking of doing and I need a little advice. I just returned from my high school 45th class reunion (which was great!) and the call went out for much better door prize donations for the 50th. (You may have seen my other thread abut it) It was suggested that I turn some pens for this project and engrave them with stuff about the 50th reunion. I have 2 obstacles to the plan. 1) I have never turned a pen and 2) I know nothing about engraving. However, I believe these 2 problems can be a learning experience rather than a roadblock. I think I have a path plan for the pen turning, so now I am "turning" my attention to the engraving.
    My feeling is that adding text and possibly a simple logo design to the body of these pens is a simple task for someone with the right equipment and skills. Is this true? And what kind of cost is involved in getting this done? My budget is somewhat limited, as these will be at my expense and donated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-22-2015 at 2:17 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

01001000011001010110110001101100011011110010000001 00110001100001011100100111001001111001001000000110 10000110111101110111001000000111100101101111011101 010010000001100100011011110110100101101110
    Larry remember Pen shafts are small so logos would need to be small. and probably require someone with a rotary attachment Names how ever can sometime be done with out the rotary . School name and Year might be good or if you know the names of the attendee's that would be even cooler. How many pens would you be looking to do?
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 06-22-2015 at 7:43 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Larry remember Pen shafts are small so logos would need to be small. and probably require someone with a rotary attachment Names how ever can sometime be done with out the rotary . School name and Year might be good or if you know the names of the attendee's that would be even cooler. How many pens would you be looking to do?
    Bert,
    There were almost 900 in my graduating class, and almost 200 attended the 45th, so I am not making one for everyone! I am planning on making 4 or 5 for door prizes.
    Also, the logo commonly used is very simple it looks something like this:
    ...____
    ./.......\
    .\...... /
    ./.......\
    /.........\ (ignore the dots. The editor seems to want to remove spaces before posting)
    It is called a dog Iron and is supposed to represent the cattle brand used at the Dog Iron Ranch where Will Rogers was born. I thought I could put the year 2020 underneath it. I didn't think that would be too hard to do.
    But like I said in my original post I know just about zero when it comes to engraving. So what to me might seem easy, could easily be hard.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-22-2015 at 8:05 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Larry,

I am a pen turner as well as an engraver. If you have a good quality file of the school logo, I can take a look at it and see if I can vectorize it for engraving. If you want to PM me the file I can take a look at it for you and see if it is something I can do for you.
    Last edited by Mike DeRegnaucourt; 06-23-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

dog brand.jpgSo would this be something like what your looking for
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

aw, c'mon, give these machines a little credit!

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev this logo is not fancy its a brand they put on cattle that is the exact brand what I did, hey we all can do fancy

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    aw, c'mon, give these machines a little credit!

IMG_20150623_101913927.jpg
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 06-23-2015 at 1:22 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeRegnaucourt View Post
    Hi Larry,

I am a pen turner as well as an engraver. If you have a good quality file of the school logo, I can take a look at it and see if I can vectorize it for engraving. If you want to PM me the file I can take a look at it for you and see if it is something I can do for you.
    Thanks so much Mike! I'm not sure what the definition of a good quality file is, But if I could draw it with SketchUp, would that do? I have been searching the internet for a picture or drawing of it and have not found it yet. I haven't found the magic Google phrase yet. I do have some examples in my yearbook and also on a T-shirt I have, so I should be able to reproduce it pretty close.

I do have a 5 year lead time on this so at this point I am in no real hurry. But I do have to learn how to turn pens, and I am planning on getting started with that pretty soon. I am putting some feelers to try and track down some wood taken for the school building or even a tree on campus to make these pens from. I also have an idea to make a keepsake box or 2 with inlay work as well and I need to learn how to do that too!
    I am always looking for projects that I can learn a new skill from and I think this is a really good one for me.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    dog brand.jpgSo would this be something like what your looking for
    Very good Bert! That is the actual Dog Iron Ranch cattle brand. However when it was converted to the school logo it got changed to look more like my keyboard graphic. It sort of looks like a diamond profile with legs. I want to stick with the school logo.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries

The dog iron logo is at the bottom right portion of this image. I am still trying to track down something better.
    Larry J Browning

Looks different then whats on the Dog Iron Ranches website but hey it can be done how ever you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post

The dog iron logo is at the bottom right portion of this image. I am still trying to track down something better.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries

This is a better one. This is actually what the top of the traditional class ring looks like. Mine got stolen from my house a few years ago. I was sick about it.
    You can see the actual brands influence on this. I think this looks better. The real one looks more like a stick figure of a girl.
    Larry J Browning

I agree this is much nicer and very easy to reproduce to engrave.

This is a better one. This is actually what the top of the traditional class ring looks like. Mine got stolen from my house a few years ago. I was sick about it.
    You can see the actual brands influence on this. I think this looks better. The real one looks more like a stick figure of a girl.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That looks like it would be easy to create a vector image of for engraving.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

That should be pretty straight forward to do. I do this fairly regularly. You need to decide whether
    you want to run it vertically like this pict, or horizontally. I personally like it vertically since you can
    make the figure larger. cheers!

photo.JPG
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"