Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rastering cardstock?

rastering cardstock?

I know, it sounds goofy, but I'm trying to raster a design onto cardstock. I want it to darken the paper without blowing through.
    I'm making some old-fashioned tickets and the brown burned image would look great. But I'm having a heck of a time with settings. Ideas?
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

i was doing a lot of paper a while back for scrapbookers until i realized it was not the least bit profitable. If memory serves correct, i was doing it at 30 p, 100 sp, 200 dpi. Premium white core card stock works best.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I too have done it, using "polytag" which is a .024" poly coated card stock used for screenprinting political signs. On my 45 watt I go 20p, 100sp, 300 dpi.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Marc - I made a bunch of cards on regular greeting cardstock, with a bird's eye veneer insert. I burned them on an older Eclipse, so my settings won't help you, but I can tell you that I used the 100% speed and about 20% power to get a very light burn.

I wish I could show you here, but I don't know how to attach a picture... if you PM me I will email it to you.

- dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I found the neatest thing. I got regular black posterboard from Hobby Lobby, and I found that it engraved and cut beautifully. Make sure when you hold the posterboard up, you can see white on the edges. That lets you know it's the kind that etches well. Below is a packaging prototype I'm working one. I'm going to use different tabs for the final piece, but I think it's kinda cute. I'll send the settings later, I'm at my day job right now.

Epilog Helix 24 - 35W, Rotary Attachment, Corel X3, Adobe CS2

Photographic mat board works well also. I sometimes will engrave a title on the mat board surrounding a framed print. Mat board cuts well also. I use the recommended settings on my Epilog settings sheet.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I am trying to learn how to attach a picture, so please bear with me. I got some help from Mike, so here goes:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks to Mike Null for educating me!

cheers, dee

Dee
    Good job. Now what all did you do with the card?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Well, every year I design a Chinese New Year card, which is not exactly the kind of thing you can just buy at Hallmark stores. I use them myself to send to friends and family, but I have had people buy the designs for things like T-shirts and posters. The cities of San Francisco and Houston have used my designs for their celebrations. This was the first time I used the laser, usually they are screenprinted, handpainted, etc. This is the Year of the Rat, by the way. Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Thanks for asking, dee

Dee

My compliments!

Judging from your location you cook Cantonese food.

Somebody will ask so I'll go first. do you have any such designs you'd like to share with the members?
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-22-2008 at 5:13 AM. Reason: addition
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Chinese New Year cards

Well, for whoever might be interested, here are a few designs - also, a picture of my Chinese Zodiak joker set, all 12 animals. These were laser engraved on thermoset plastic tiles (1" x 1 1/4"), then color filled.

EDIT: can someone tell me why my images loaded at less than the size I saved them at? For instance, the last pic was saved at 96KB and it loaded at 41KB, looking pretty blurry too. Thanks, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 02-22-2008 at 2:57 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

EDIT: can someone tell me why my images loaded at less than the size I saved them at? For instance, the last pic was saved at 96KB and it loaded at 41KB, looking pretty blurry too. Thanks, dee
    Probably because what ever is uploaded is re-compressed as a .jpg And every time you save a .jpg 'as' a .jpg, it re-compresses (actually 'removes' data) and gets smaller and crappier with every save.. Also, everything else (.gif, .tif, .bmp) will become smaller and crappier when converted to a .jpg ... A lot of people don't realize this.. I was looking at a sandblast site the other day, and the fellow had posted a very good tutorial on how to sandblast photographs.. He went all through the steps of creating a good binary file, and 'then' said save it as a .jpg That just removed ALL the effort of creating a good binary file? There is no such thing as a binary .jpg.. If you want to try a experiment, load and save the same .jpg 5 or 6 time, taking note of the sizes.. Each time it will be smaller and fuzzier..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 02-23-2008 at 9:41 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

clarification for image size

So what you're telling me, Bill, is that I can save my image at about twice the required limit and it will be okay once it loads?

Red Coin Mah Jong

I hope the Mods don't mind me trying this experiment.... I'm loading a picture that's 140KB to see if it flies and if it looks better. It didn't take, but the next one at 136 did. Hmmm..

Thanks for your indulgence, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong