Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite HF, Progress Pics

Mesquite HF, Progress Pics

Thought some might find this of interest. The first photo show the blank mounted on thew lathe, ready to turn. The blank was to big to bandsaw any and I didn't want to break out the chainsaw. The second photo show the piece after the outside is almost done and I am hollowing the inside. Photo 3 shows the piece reversed with the vacuum chuck to finish the bottom. I have the tailstock up until I am almost done. The blue tape is covering any small voids. Photo 4 shows the finished piece. It measures 8-1/2" diameter x 15-1/2" tall. The lid and finial are ebony. Thanks for looking and comments/critiques/questions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Beautiful and I so LOVE mesquite...some of the prettiest wood around!

That first pic looks dangerous even at slow speed. So how long from pic 1 to pic 2?!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Kieth,

Thanks for the picture tutorial. The information is interesting, but the finished piece is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the progress picture. I'm always interested to see what the blanks start out looking like. How long did it take you to get from Picture 1 to Picture 2?

Mesquite

Keith,
    Do you feel that the second steady rest adds to the security of turning these larger hollow forms? I was always under the impression that since the tool was pushing against the left side, that that was where the support was needed.
    Very nice piece, BTW. I like the grain and the form.
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Beautiful and I so LOVE mesquite...some of the prettiest wood around!

That first pic looks dangerous even at slow speed. So how long from pic 1 to pic 2?!
    Chris, if I could have only one wood to turn it would be Mesquite.

I don't have a clue as to how long it took to turn this I tend to loose track of time.

I use a 1" bowl gouge for roughing a piece like this. It has so much mass that it's really not bad. Taking your time is key. Get in a hurry and you'll get hurt.

TURN SAFE

Keith - beautiful work as always! Have to comment that it looks like you have built up quite a shop! I'm sure Andy has lots of good things to say about what you are turning on!

Really like the size of this HF! Love the form - flowing curve, small foot, slightly raised lip - all very well done! You have finials down to a fine art - very graceful!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Bird View Post
    Keith,
    Do you feel that the second steady rest adds to the security of turning these larger hollow forms? I was always under the impression that since the tool was pushing against the left side, that that was where the support was needed.
    Very nice piece, BTW. I like the grain and the form.
    Kurt
    Definately does add security. Using one will only keep the chatter down where the tool is. The second one not only helps with vibration but will help keep a large piece in the chuck if you have any catches. I wouldn't do it any other way.

TURN SAFE

Beautiful piece, Keith. In the first shot, what are you using on the headstock side? Spur center or face plate? Just curious....I recently got some larger blanks than I typically work with and wondered if I need to use a face plate with them.

Nice piece there Keith and a nice lathe setup as well. Another beautiful Collierville Round to be proud of.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Moffett View Post
    Beautiful piece, Keith. In the first shot, what are you using on the headstock side? Spur center or face plate? Just curious....I recently got some larger blanks than I typically work with and wondered if I need to use a face plate with them.
    Jeff, I use a 2 prong spur that is 2" wide. It mounts in my chuck. Has a lot of holding surface and is great for judging the tennon size. When you are done turning the tennon simply loosen the jaws, slide out the spur, and mount the tennon. I think the major suppliers have them.

TURN SAFE

Just beautiful, really looks fantastic. Hope I get to the point someday where I will have the skills to turn something like that.

Your vacuum chuck looks like schedule 40 PVC or something similar. I have 3 made, 3,4 & 6 inch but am trying to figure out what to use as a gasket material for the top. What did you use?

That's a beauty Keith. I like your setup too. How is the vacuum working out attached to the wall like that. Does the noise bother you since it's not muffled? I had thought about mounting mine over head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maylon Harvey View Post
    Just beautiful, really looks fantastic. Hope I get to the point someday where I will have the skills to turn something like that.

Your vacuum chuck looks like schedule 40 PVC or something similar. I have 3 made, 3,4 & 6 inch but am trying to figure out what to use as a gasket material for the top. What did you use?
    I use a cheap Mouse Pad and super glue it to the pvc pipe. You can use a skew and turn it nice and neat if you want.

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff View Post
    That's a beauty Keith. I like your setup too. How is the vacuum working out attached to the wall like that. Does the noise bother you since it's not muffled? I had thought about mounting mine over head.
    Thanks Brian.The pump works great like I have it. I do have an exhaust muffler/filter that quites it some. The noise doesn't bother me, but I can see it bothering some people.

TURN SAFE