Thread: Way up there Compressor!

Way up there Compressor!

I mounted my 25-gal, Craftsman prof. 2-stage compressor up on the "knee wall" in my garage/shop. I have the advantage of a half vaulted ceiling in there and I noticed one day the the compressor looked like it could fit just about right up there!

The compressor is bolted to two pieces of laminated 3/4 ply with a hold drilled in the center for water draining ease.

I lag-bolted a chunk of oak to the massive beam spanning the garage and used water-heater earthquake strapping as a precaution along with the chain/s-hooks you see hanging from the rafters. As one final precaution, I have some steel cable attached the handle of the compressor and hooked around a metal hook screwed into the wall.

Next I need electrical up there and an air-hose reel. So far, so good with the compressor up there. I have plans some day to bring down and replumb the air regulator and on/off switch but so far, the compressor hasn't decided to kick-on at 3 am. The hose reel attachment above my head has been a godsend...it is centrally loacated within my garage is just as easy to reach as it is to shuffle out of the way!

I realize some of you may not think it wise to have something like this overhead but I feel very safe with what I've done to secure this thing...my DP is right under it! As we all know, floor space is such a valuable commodity in a 2-car garage... Thanks for looking...fire away with question and comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Great idea!! I might have to do that in my shop that has unusually high ceilings, (14'). Looks like it would save a lot of floor space and might even help with the noise.
    Travis

Travis,

It probably won't help with noise. In fact, the opposite! The noise could be transmitted throughout your whole house! The low-frequncy noise will simply hop on the wood and travel around your house! Grainger makes vibration hangers/dampeners if you find a problem with noise. Go to their website and do a search on "vibration hanger" and you see what I mean.

I don't have this issue but the bedroom that is above the garage can clearly hear the compressor when it kicks on. It is true that the particular compressor I have is quieter than most but it is still noisy and unpleasant.

My next plans are to install a DC/cyclone right next to the compressor. I fear I may need to slide the compressor over one section of rafter. Sigh, that won't be fun. It wasn't too bad getting it up there but I don't look forward to moving it if I have to!

I think this is a great idea, Chris, especially since you took precautions for safety, etc. On the drain...why not extend it down the wall for easier and more frequent, non-ladder assisted use? The stock valve fitting can be easily replaced with something hose-like with a ball valve on the end. Keep a cheap bucket handy to catch the stuff and you're set!

As to the high ceiling, that's wonderful! A coworker of mine near Denver has the same situation in his garage shop and he takes advantage of the extra height to allow for vertical lumber storage racks for 10-12' lumber. 'Wish I could do that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I will do exactly that with the drain. I have some lumber storage up there too but I am finding I didn't design it very well. I find I am constantly banging 4x8 sheets into it and that darn garage door opening gets in the way, too!

The previous owner of the house put in a lot of cabinets (to the right of the pic and left...door leads into my house) and I really need to redo them to gain back floor space. Hey, I see I caught a pic of my daughter there! She loves climbing up on the step stool and digging through my screwdriver drawer...that is the one open on the toolchest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting solution to the space problem, but my concern would be that the vibration from the unit might cause you to see some cracking in drywall joints in adjacent rooms. That and the noise would be amplified by the solid mount to the wall and the echo factor of the high ceilings. I can sympathise with the need for room in the shop, I don't know if I would have handled it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I mounted my 25-gal, Craftsman prof. 2-stage compressor up on the "knee wall" in my garage/shop. I have the advantage of a half vaulted ceiling in there and I noticed one day the the compressor looked like it could fit just about right up there!

The compressor is bolted to two pieces of laminated 3/4 ply with a hold drilled in the center for water draining ease.

I lag-bolted a chunk of oak to the massive beam spanning the garage and used water-heater earthquake strapping as a precaution along with the chain/s-hooks you see hanging from the rafters. As one final precaution, I have some steel cable attached the handle of the compressor and hooked around a metal hook screwed into the wall.

Next I need electrical up there and an air-hose reel. So far, so good with the compressor up there. I have plans some day to bring down and replumb the air regulator and on/off switch but so far, the compressor hasn't decided to kick-on at 3 am. The hose reel attachment above my head has been a godsend...it is centrally loacated within my garage is just as easy to reach as it is to shuffle out of the way!

I realize some of you may not think it wise to have something like this overhead but I feel very safe with what I've done to secure this thing...my DP is right under it! As we all know, floor space is such a valuable commodity in a 2-car garage... Thanks for looking...fire away with question and comments!

Warning - Tank Mounted Compressor Accidents

A few years ago we had a fellow in our county that had a small compressor with a 20 gallon tank rated at 125 PSI. It was a typical rig like you would find in lots of garage/shops. As with most tank mounted compressors the motor and compressor are bolted to a plate that is welded to the tank. The accident I am referring to was caused by the cyclic vibration from the compressor which caused the welds to the tank to crack, the crack propagated into the tank and it ruptured with 125 PSI or so in the tank.

A 20 gallon tank doesn't sound like much and 125 PSI isn't a great deal of pressure to most people but it totally destroyed a two car garage. All four walls were blown completely away and the roof fell straight down to the floor. The fellow who owned the garage had just went into the house for lunch 5 minutes before the explosion.

I spent most of my working life as an Inspector doing Quality Control and Nondestructive Testing and at the time this accident happened I was employed by a NASA contractor involved with the recertification of wind tunnels and high energy piping systems. After receiving a safety warning through channels we inspected every air compressor at Langley/NASA. We stripped the paint from every weld and performed a liquid penetrant inspection on hundreds of units. We only found two that required repair, but considering the risk involved it was worth the effort.

Check your air compressor frequently, do a visual inspection periodically and look closely. I recently moved my compressor to another building away from my workshop and fed underground air lines to my shop. Not only is it safer but there is no noise and I can shoot lacquer without worrying about a spark from the compressor motor igniting the fumes.

Just something to think about...oh and I wouldn't advise anyone to place a compressor too close to living space where people you love spend lots of time.

Yeeesh! Now you have me all worried, Keith! I feel like I should surround the thing with 1" thick metal bars or something! My compressor is supposed to hold 175 psi by design.

However, there must be 100s of thousands of air compressors in people's home...I've never heard of such accidents but I guess one can't be too careful.

I don't shoot any flammable liquids nor do I use my compressor for shooting anything...I have an Apollo1000 (4-stage turbine) to take care of finish spraying. Heck, the garage is the only place I have to put a compressor....

It doesn't run much save on the weekends....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    Interesting solution to the space problem, but my concern would be that the vibration from the unit might cause you to see some cracking in drywall joints in adjacent rooms. That and the noise would be amplified by the solid mount to the wall and the echo factor of the high ceilings. I can sympathise with the need for room in the shop, I don't know if I would have handled it that way.
    It isn't perfect but it has been there since about 2 months before I took the pictures. It doesn't run 24/7...it might turn on 10-12 times over a good weekend and it is a lower noise type of compressor. I can discern no serious noise issues and no problems with drywall cracking. I may do some isolation of it, however, when I get to mounting my DC/cyclone up there. That, for sure, I am going to use some kind of vibration dampening on (like what Grainger has available).

Chris, Keith's cautions are important, but if you do regular maintenance, such as draining the system properly to minimize rust and do a regular inspection, you should be fine. Like any tool...you need to pay attention to it! As it gets older, check it more often.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...