Thread: Fun Projects from Scrap

Fun Projects from Scrap

Not having a real project to complete during my vacation prior to the 2007 holidays, I decided to play around making some tools. These were fun to make and great use of shop scraps. They are also a good way to practice hand tool skills.

This first picture is of a shop made try square and marking gauge. These were made from maple and birch offcuts from the scrap pile. The designs for these came from two separate "Arts & Mysteries" columns from Popular Woodworking magazine.

This next picture is a taper reamer (for reaming bored mortises to receive tapered round tenons) and a panel gauge (a large version of a marking gauge for large panels). The reamer is a design from John Alexander's Green Woodworking web page ans is made from bubinga with a removable oak handle and blade made from a scrap damaged hand saw blade. I don't have a lathe so there was a lot of spokeshave work involved here. The Panel gauge has a beam of oak and a head of mahogany with a pin made from a broken drill bit.

This final picture is of a wooden smooth plane, spoke shave, travisher and small wooden mallet for adjusting wooden planes. The smooth plane is made from purpleheart with a mahogany wedge. The spokeshave and travisher are made from bubinga with shop made blades made from O1 tool steel and machine screws and brass nuts from the home center. The plane adjusting mallet is made from purpleheart and oak. For anyone considering working purpleheart with hand tools...DON'T . This stuff is HARD. It was like working stone. I've never had to re-grind my tools so often working with any other wood. Think I'll stick to the domestic stuff in the future .

Someone's been busy - Nice stuff REALLY nice. Good thing you got the experience, in the future I'll be looknig to make some of this stuff myself; better get ready!
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

No, I have not been busy. These were mostly built before the new year. Just getting around to taking pics .

Great way to take care of scraps...

The tools turned out great. I bet they will be in service for a long time.

Very nicely done. I always like to see tools that folks have made for themselves. I'd agree with you that making tools out of Purpleheart is a bit of a masochistic exercise. Not only is the stuff hard, but all of the silica in the wood really abrades the cutting edges of tools quickly. If you ever need something really hard and heavy for wear purposes, Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) is a good choice. It's only about 5 notches from the top on the Janka Hardness Scale.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thumbs up

Not only are your "scraps" turned into beautiful pieces of work, they could be given to children (grandchildren) for their use and encouragement in working with real tools.