Thread: What best for Redwood outside ???

What best for Redwood outside ???

I have read that the redwood we get now is not like it used to be in that it will not hold up as good as it did years ago.

So with that thought what would be the best thing to use on a redwood outdoor chair?

I want it to repel water and look good.

Best ask a pro...

I wonder what they mean by "hold up"? Redwood was supposed to be termite proof, as far as I know it still is. There are several water repellent products on the market that might do well. I would imagine any of these products will need to be applied annually or so. I would stay away from pigmented products. Things that "build" with chip and peel. But either way, I would check with the pros at the "real' paint stores for options.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Realize that there is redwood and white redwood. Redwood stands up to the elements well and just changes color. The white portion or sapwood is about as tolerant of the elements as say pine is and needs a lot of treatment or you will loose it in a few yrs. Unless you paid very top dollar for very select redwood you probably have a lot of the white stuff. Gary Sullivan on his radio show recommends something that is supposed to last 5 yrs or more on decks. You might try to google his site for that info, otherwise I think you need to treat a deck every couple of yrs