Thread: cypress from florida?

cypress from florida?

I will be saddling up the mini-van for the family trip to Florida next week. Got me thinking about what wood might be native to the Florida area that I might be able to pick up cheaper than I can here in the northeast since I'll be there anyway. How about some cypress anybody know of any good Fla sources?

FL Cypress

I'm not sure what part of FL you're visiting (mickey world?) - I'm in Tallahassee and don't use much cypress. The last I bought was from a character in Perry - Bo Swindles 850.584.4374. Don't know if he's still around. He had a couple thousand BDF under pole barns ranging from 12x12 beams to pecky. If you're able to contact him his place is a good example of old Florida - Sawmill was a 318V8 running a blade.

Redwood Bay in Blountstown 850.674.8464 would be a good place to check too.

another forum has a poster (bones is his uname) in gainesville/micanopy area that periodically makes lumber runs and seems to have a supply.

Other wood to consider is cherry and/or small stuff for veneer or turning - like magnolia or other fruitwoods that show up periodically.

Let me know if you need more info

florida cypress

Google Tomscypress, fla. he has cypress and knees. Other species are available. Nice guy to deal with.
    Larry

4. http://www.chipmunkhardwoods.com/

Check out:

http://www.chipmunkhardwoods.com/

I have never been to the actual store but I bought a bunch of ash a while back and they were great.

Thanks for all the info, We will not be visiting Mickey this time around. The father in law has a place in Melbourne with a pool in the backyard which should keep the kids busy for a few days.

The reason I thought cypress might be plentiful and (cheap ) was that I think the last time I was down there I noticed they stocked it in the big box stores.

cypress makes good mulch, and patio furniture. They retrieve older logs from the bottom of the rivers, where they used to float it to the mills, those have good heartwood. If you can find the older stuff, you could make something nice I suppose.

I don't know where you're coming from, but another source that may be on the way is Acadian Hardwoods & Cypress.
    http://www.acadianhardwoods.com/sales.html
    Melbourne's a nice place, I grew up there.
    - Jim

I was born in Melbourne of sorts, except the area I lived was called Eau Gallie at the time. Dad worked up at the cape during the Gemini and Apollo missions.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schell View Post
    I will be saddling up the mini-van for the family trip to Florida next week. Got me thinking about what wood might be native to the Florida area that I might be able to pick up cheaper than I can here in the northeast since I'll be there anyway. How about some cypress anybody know of any good Fla sources?
    First don't go and try to cut your own cypress and particularily the knees are protected. There is still some sold but it is getting harder to find. If your in the Tampa/Brooksville area there is a lumberyard at State 52 and US 41 that specializes in Cypress (actually about 100yards west of the intersection).

It is usually rough cut and wet, you will need to dry it yourself.

Should have said something sooner I tossed about 100 bd ft of pecky cypress not to long ago. Pecky Cypress is Cypress that has worm holes about as big as you small finger running all through it. At one times it was the rage in home decorating. We had ours on the wall for about 30 years but now no one wants it so I pitched it.
    Ed
    Ed

There is a guy in Geneva that has Cypress for sale on his web site. If you're wondering, Geneva is between Titusville and Sanford on SR 46. Prices seem OK, but I have not been there, so I can't comment on the quality of the wood.

http://olegeneralstore.com/

I'm not sure the Cypress is "cheap" here but these are nice folks to deal with ... they, Griffis Lumber, have a nice yard and web site http://www.griffislumber.com/ ... Their mill caught fire a while back and they are rebuiding but they are still in business ... They are easy to find if you wish to vist since they are on US 441 just outside Gainesville, Fl.
    Leo

thanks again

thanks again for all of the info, the griffus site i have looked at before i may try to convince the wife into a little detour. probably will be a tough sell considering the 4 (tired, whining) kids.

A great Gainesville, Fl dealer

Matt,

If you are going to stop by Griffis, don't miss Goodwin Lumber which is just south of Gainesville, on US 441. (Easy to get there off I-75). Goodwin advertises in major magazines, etc., and has terrifice river recovered pine and cypress. Great people to visit; your kids will get a most enjoyable "field trip", and they won't even realize it. Goodwin was one of the first to recover sunken logs in Florida, and has a wealth of knowledge.

Hope you get to drop by an authentic Florida treasure.

Best regards,

John Dorough
    Ocala, FL (35 miles south of G'ville)

You don't say where you'll be in Fl. Be more specific and you'll get lots of info.

Grew up in Fl. Live in Mo now. Noticed the giant bald cypress in the back yard when we looked at the house 10 years ago. A little bit of home.
    Where did I put that tape measure...