Thread: Shiraz,what saw would you put in the Ultimate Bandsaw test ?

Shiraz,what saw would you put in the Ultimate Bandsaw test ?

Say a big magazine was testing big bandsaws. This would be the dream saw for a one bandsaw shop. Cost is limited to $4000.

These are the top features looked for in the saw.

1- Must resaw OVER 12" high.
    2- The main criteria is resawing, but 1/4'' wide blades and curve cutting will also be tested.
    3- The saw must take wider carbide blades without cracking them so according to Suffolk Machinery 18" and larger band saws ?
    4- Smoothness of resawn face will be tested
    5- Feed speed will be tested,but not with a power feeder.
    6- Single-phase only.

Shiraz, I know your busy, so if and when you get a chance to comment would the G0636X beat the G0568 at this? Could Grizzly win best saw AND best value?

Anyone who has seen both the Grizzly and other saws in this class care to pick a winner?
    Last edited by jim oakes; 03-13-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I'm not Shiraz, but is this for a real test or a question to see what is considered the absolute best Grizzly bandsaw?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I'm not Shiraz, but is this for a real test or a question to see what is considered the absolute best Grizzly bandsaw?
    I don't represent a magazine. Grizzly wants to compete directly against the high dollar, “high-end” European bandsaws with the 17"GO636X.
    This was my inspiration for this thread.

Got it. Thanks.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

5. Jim - this is a loaded thread that is sure to bring out emotional responses from owners of various brands, defending the honor of their European made saws.

First, I would change the criteria of comments relating to the G0636X to users and not people that have seen one or those that have studied the parts diagrams of our manuals on line.

Second, you should add a "flex" test of the tables. The assumption being that large and heavy blocks of wood would be sometimes put on the table to resaw.

Third, you should specify the exact blade to be used in the test. Timberwolf blades are very good (we sell them as well) and Suffolk can recommend one.

Obviously, my pick would be the G0636X. The G0568 is too much saw for the small shop although I am guilty of having a monster 26" resaw bandsaw in my shop at home. However, I also have the G0513 that I use for smaller jobs (advantage of having a toy store at my disposal).

I am extremely busy, but wanted to respond quickly before this thread went sideways.
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 03-13-2008 at 9:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Jim - this is a loaded thread that is sure to bring out emotional responses from owners of various brands, defending the honor of their European made saws.

First, I would change the criteria of comments relating to the G0636X to users and not people that have seen one or those that have studied the parts diagrams of our manuals on line.

Second, you should add a "flex" test of the tables. The assumption being that large and heavy blocks of wood would be sometimes put on the table to resaw.

Third, you should specify the exact blade to be used in the test. Timberwolf blades are very good (we sell them as well) and Suffolk can recommend one.

Obviously, my pick would be the G0636X. The G0568 is too much saw for the small shop although I am guilty of having a monster 26" resaw bandsaw in my shop at home. However, I also have the G0513 that I use for smaller jobs (advantage of having a toy store at my disposal).

I am exteremly busy, but wanted to respond quickly before this thread went sideways.
    Thanks so much Shiraz! I can bet you are extremely busy!
    O.K. lets say this.

1- The resaw tests will be done with a 1/2 carbide blade (17'' saws may crack 1'' blades) so 20" and over saws may use a 1'' or wider carbide blade. Saws will be tested with non-carbide blades too with ultimate smoothness being graded higher than feed rate.
    2- A table flex test could be included. ( I think you may have a winner there Shiraz!)

Remember Shiraz,The cost limit is $4000 so if the GO568 beats the GO636X lets hear it.

Please state if you have actually seen or sawed with any saws discussed.

Would the owners of the companies who make or distribute Agazzani,,Laguna,or Mini-Max care to chime in like Shiraz has been so kind to? Please, you are all invited!
    Last edited by jim oakes; 03-13-2008 at 2:32 PM.

Jim, "old formula" carbide blades had a lot more cracking issues on smaller saws than the current generation. Lenox, for example, reformulated the TriMaster a couple years ago to deal with this and the 1" blade runs just fine and for a very long time on a 16" saw, especially if it's properly tensioned and detensioned and only used for absolutely straight cuts as any 1" blade should be treated.

The other vendors you mention are unlikely to comment on a forum for the reasons that I think Shiraz was concerned about...not to mention that we have pretty strict rules relative to things like that. Manufacturers and vendors are limited to answering questions in a factual way, but are not allowed promotional commentary nor any kind of "unkindness" to their competitive brethren.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only problem with this is that Grizzly doesn't have a wood bandsaw even close to the $4000 price point, so comparisons against companies that do are bound to be skewed. It's straight from $2600 to $8500.

Why not pick the $2000 price point since all the companies will likely have a saw for that cost? Or, you could compare having two Grizzly $2000 saws vs. one $4000 saw from another company.

Prolly the Mini Max 16 MM16 16" saw with the Laguna carbide tipped resaw blade for resawing.

the MM 20" elite is good too but who needs 20" of resaw?

That's if we're just talking wood saws

In my opinion, asking for a large resaw capacity and then asking for 1/4" blade use is not to practical. In my experience with 24" saws while they have been great for ripping, resawing and sweeping curves, gentle curves, etc..my luck with 1/4" blades has not been good. I tried it once and it did not work so well... the smallest I use is 1/2" and right now I can not even remember the last time I took my 1" carbide off of my saw...

As far as what brands....well in all honesty the only way one could really get their OWN OPINION is to try out all of the available saws for a period of time. Asking one manufacture if their saw is good is not really going to get you anywhere. The best advice I could give short of buying them alll and trying them out is go visit them at shops in your area.

Asking users of each saw will also get you tainted comparisons because of course we all like our choice in saws. I can only comment honestly on three saws; Jet 14", Agazzani B-24 and MM 24 (Centauro) and they all have been good for my use at the level of woodworking I was doing at the time.

Many of the saws this size list 1/8" blades as the smallest they take, some say 1/4".

Yes manufacturers say "a lot" of what their machines can do. Speaking from my experience on using a 1/4" blade on a B-24 with crowned tires...it is very touchy feely to get it to track correctly. Then add pressure to the blade as you are cutting and WHAMO it is one interesting sound when a blade either flies off of the wheel or lets go on these big saws... Based upon my experience with the B-24 I never tried anything (or have i had the need to) smaller than a 1" carbide on my MM24.

You need to decide what you want the saw to do. If you are a turner then you may need the extra resaw for cutting big blanks....if you plan on doing heavy resawing then maybe also...but if you want a more general saw than can do both I would stick in the 16" range as it seems they work better with a wider range of blades

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    The only problem with this is that Grizzly doesn't have a wood bandsaw even close to the $4000 price point, so comparisons against companies that do are bound to be skewed. It's straight from $2600 to $8500.

Why not pick the $2000 price point since all the companies will likely have a saw for that cost? Or, you could compare having two Grizzly $2000 saws vs. one $4000 saw from another company.
    Thanks Peter,
    I guess we could lower it to $3500. Grizzly's 24" is $2600, but the MM 24" and Laguna 24" are well over $4000. $ 3500 would allow the Agazzani 24" in and all the 20" Italian saws. The 20" Laguna is only 585 LBS and @ 20" of resaw I wonder if it has enough steel in the column to keep it ridgid.

Now 2 saws is a good idea, and I thought about this when I had an 18" Rikon set up for resawing . Why not have a big saw set up with a carbide blade and a 14'' with a 1/4" blade. You could get Grizzly's top of the line 24" and a 14'' including shipping and blades for under $3500.

I love that idea, now I better go out and ,measure space for 2 saws plus room to slice logs!