Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawn shed question...

Lawn shed question...

I think this is the right place to ask this?

Anyway, I'm planning on building a lawn shed for our lawn stuff... probably 8x8 or 8x12 or abouts ... my question is.. would you make the walls 16 in centers or 24 in centers?

I'm thinking this small of a shed, 24's would work but the small cost of making them 16's would make it a lot more sturdy at just a bit more cost.... or would it matter??

I'll be using 2x6's for floors and 2x4's for walls....

Thanks for any input....
    Dave
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

The difference in material cost and work to do it in 16" OC is not really that significant and will give you a little more structural stiffness and strength. Another thing to do is to calculate out the exact size so that you are using mostly full sheets, you'll reduce your work since cutting the sheet goods is the largest "pain" of the whole process, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim.... I was thinking the same thing on the 16 OC about the structure stiffness.. just needed some re-assurance beings this will be my FIRST build like this..

I agree also on the planning... 8x8 or 8x12 will use mostly full sheets... .... I was thinking one or the other, going to figure cost for each and then decide... I'd use 2x4's for the roofing .. right?

This ought to be fun..... LOL

Dave

... I'd use 2x4's for the roofing .. right?

This ought to be fun..... LOL

Dave[/quote]

Yes, you can use the 2x4 for the rafters. You might want to think about a 2x6 for the ridge though. Just a little more stiffness. I would definitely go with 12' length. I'm about to build the same thing and I know when I done I'll have that thing full of stuff. You could probably get away with 24" OC, just make sure you let in some diagonal bracing on the walls.

Thanks for the reply Jared...

I just figured the materials needed for the 8x12 based on a diagram I found on google... and GEEEZ... I didn't realize it would take that much lumber.. LOL

Still gonna do it though, I think it'll be fun to build

Dave

Exclamation

I built an 8' X 12' about 18 years ago on 24" centers and haven't experienced any problems. I do agree with extra material going into the rafters and roof. That's what really binds the whole thing together.

David - I built my entire home at 24" O.C.. For a shed 24" o.c. is plenty good. When you set your rafters, just make sure you stack them above your studs.
    Sheath with OSB or T1-11 , no diagonal bracing required. Also with a shed that small, 2x4 rafters are fine. Use a 2x6 for a ridge board though.
    Last edited by Matt Ocel; 03-16-2008 at 10:33 AM.

I'm building my 12'x12' shed 16" on center.

Here's some pictures if you're interested in how I've been doing mine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/WorkShop

Blog Entries
    My personal opinion..... Go 16" on center.

I have gone 24" on center in the past on a few projects. Not again.

Thanks guys... I'm gonna go 16" centers

Dave

Another benefit of 16" centers is you will be able to more easily accomodate roll insulation (if you plan on using it) for that dimension if that's all that's available in your area.

Insulation for 24" O.C. is readily available at any home improvement stores. Plus 24" O.C. is a yeilds a better R-value!

I hope I am not too late, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but... In my township (NJ), our local building inspector had to approve my building plans for a 10x12 shed. I didn't need an architect or anything, but there were requirements for 16" centers, etc. Might not hurt to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Summers View Post
    I hope I am not too late, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but... In my township (NJ), our local building inspector had to approve my building plans for a 10x12 shed. I didn't need an architect or anything, but there were requirements for 16" centers, etc. Might not hurt to check.
    It just gets my goat when municipalities adapt outragious building codes for something as simple as a shed. I checked and NJ flies by the IBC when clearly the IRC should be the code book to follow in this case. The IRC was to be the end all and get everybody from coast to coast on the same page. By enforcing the IBC all it is doing is costing the homeowner money. Why is it OK in the IRC to build a shed 16" on center (table R602.3(5) 2x4 stud Supporting roof and ceiling only 24"o.c.) and in the IBC it (MAY) not be ok.
    Once again the government and common sense are the same as oil and water.

Here's a 12 x 16 plus 4 foot front overhang for porch that I built for my wife.
    I went all 16" OC and made the truss' out of 2x4 also. As others have saild you will not save enough to make it worth while to go with 24 " centers
    The following link shows the construction photos including the dovetailed base.
    http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/Shed.htm