Thread: Free Boat Design Resources

Free Boat Design Resources

I've been toying with the idea of building a boat for decades. But I've been deterred by the amount of time, space, and resources required. Hopefully, it will all come together soon, now that my 7-year old grandson is into boating.

I found this site that may be helpful to others planning to build a boat.

http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm
    Bill Smith

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!

Bill,

Due to the amount of time, space, and money required to build. I thought it only made sense to buy a set of plans. I got full size station drawings, which I glued down to plywood and cut out. The set of drawings and instructions cost about 10% of the total materials and supplies to build the kayak. I consider money well spent, it gave me the confidence to try to build my first. After getting one completed, now I want to try to loft plans from a table of offsets. Boat building can get addictive. I think the reason I like it so much is that it brought together all the skills I had acquired from all the woodworking I had done previously.

You didn't mention what type of boat want to build, but I couldn't think of a better project to work on with your grandson. Maybe even take him fishing in it after you are done.

Cheers,
    Gary

Lofting a boat can be an enjoyable experience in itself. I always loft for it's calming effect before the storm. I have built from many different plans and as of yet, have not found one that I did not find errors in the Table of Offsets. (Measure twice, cut once!)

What is "lofting"?
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that!
    Lofting is the art of reproducing the lines drawing (plans) full size from the "table of offsets" (dimensions). Naval architects design boats, ships and all sorts of floating things at a reduced scale depending on the size of the vessel. As a result, some dimensions can be in error. Try getting 1/16" accuracy at 1/4"=1' scale. By drawing the lines full scale, these errors are easily detected and corrected before any lumber is cut and also provides a ready guide for picking up frame bevels. The term "Lofting" comes from the days (long before computers and CAD) when professional loftsmen laid down the lines on the painted floor of the loft above the shop. These lines were then transferred to very accurate patterns for shop use.
    In a table of offsets, dimensions are usually given in feet, inches and eighth inches and are usually written thus:
    Example:2-6-3 (2' 6 3/8"). A + or - after the last number will mean add or subtract 1/16" therefore 2-6-3+ would be 2' 6 7/16".
    Hope this helps!
    Jim

Which boat to build first

My grandson keeps talking about a kayak or canoe. But since he's only seven, I think we'll start with a Jon Boat as our first boat project. Of course, he'll probably be 9 or 10 before I actually start building one.

Gary - I'm sure that boat building will be addictive, just as woodworking and turning has become.
    Bill Smith

----------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wiggins View Post
    I'm sure that boat building will be addictive, just as woodworking and turning has become.
    He he he...

Oh boy is it ever... It is a disease with no cure...
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I found this software a few years ago when I was researching strip built canoes and kayaks. You can change variables inside the plan data section, and it will alter the layout to account for passenger and cargo weight as well as desired length. I have not used it to build a boat yet, so take all of this with the pound of salt necessary, but it looks to be a decent utility.

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak...e/software.htm

Kris