Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLearVue Mini or Dust Deputy?

Oneida's customer service is outstanding.

I've had the dust deputy since the summer and am quite pleased.

Oneida's customer service was outstanding. Their staff person Jamie spent a good deal of time with me over email to make sure that I ordered the correct hoses and fittings and offered really good advice on building the enclosure. It's quite an impressive degree of service for a $120 order. If I ever get a larger shop and purchase a larger cyclone, I'll definitely go back to them.

I went with the Dust Deputy with the Oneida metal can below mainly because it came ready to use. I bought it when they were having it on a special deal with free shipping. At the time that made it quite a bit cheaper than the ClearVue. Little did I know at the time that I'd need to buy their hose (extra cost plus shipping). After the hose came I was in business. It works great -- as in no sanding dust in my ShopVac. The only thing that I don't like when compared to the ClearVue is I don't get the see the sawdust as it spin down the cone.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 03-15-2008 at 7:52 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Stearns View Post
    Greetings to the Creek!
    I want to further increase my abiltiy to collect as much dust as possible. With this in mind, I want to add a mini-cyclone to the existing shop vac for sanding and such. I have looked at both the ClearVue Mini and also the Dust Deputy. With cost relatively close to each other, which will be better? Has anyone used one or both?
    Thanks for looking.
    Victor
    I'm very happy with the ClearVue on a shop vac. For me the acid test was how well it did on that choking fine MDF dust which normally would clog the bag or filter almost immediately. I've probably emptied the 5 gal bucket on the cyclone a couple dozen times and I can barely discern any discoloration on the filter. The only bag I've replaced is due to the bucket lid failure. Those plastic lids are definitely not strong enough to withstand the suction of a 13a vac for long.
    - Tom

Jim, Like I said I also use my CT22 as a shop clean up vac so what ever is on the floor gets sucked up. My first bag was full in a couple of weeks. Went to buy bags and that is when I decided that a mini cyclone might not be a bad idea. I have been using it for a while now with almost nothing getting into the bag. The cyclone is even really good separating the finest sanding dust. I have no regrets buying the unit and would do it again in a heart beat.

I might try cleaning out my bags. However with the cyclone it looks like I will get a year or more to each bag.

Good Luck

Alan

I have the ClearVue on a 5 gallon bucket and a shop vac. It works very well and I use it for my sanders and also the table saw and router table.

One of the reasons I went with the ClearVue is it is clear, you can see when the bucket is full of if I am feeding it to much at one time.

I did do something that I am not sure will be the best thing in the long run but I took the filter off the shop vac, wrapped it with screen wire and then exhaust it out the back of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Make your own!

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Works great, costs less, and is more compact.
    I built Phil's separator and must agree; it works great, cost me about $25 and has a lower profile. I use mine with a 20 gallon metal trash can so have plenty of room for dust and chips.

Oh, and his circle cutting jig for the router table is great too.

I use the cheap mini lid from Woodcraft on my CT-22, $20 if I remember right. It took 3 connector pieces and a piece of 2 1/2 inch flex hose, and a free 5 gal. bucket (about $50 total). Really saves on the bags. I had some dowel 3/4 inch laying around so I built a cage around it to hang my hose and cord.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Pennell; 03-16-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennell View Post
    I use the cheap mini lid from Woodcraft on my CT-22, $20 if I remember right. It took 3 connector pieces and a piece of 2 1/2 inch flex hose, and a free 5 gal. bucket (about $50 total). Really saves on the bags. I had some dowel 3/4 inch laying around so I built a cage around it to hang my hose and cord.
    I had a mini lid. It caught almost all of the chips, but none of the fines. Since it was the fines that clogged the filter (might or might not be a problem with the CT22) it just wasn't very useful.

The dust deputy catches the fines as well. Much, much better. Okay, also much more expensive; but worth it.

I've had great success with my set up.I have emptied the bucket 6 or 7 times, seems to be doing it job. Might change my mind...but so far so good. Suction has not changed at all. Have used it with my TS55, OF1400EQ Router, 150 Rotex sander, Domino, and even a HF bench top belt/disc sander. Everything I used my CT-22 with has great dust collection. Just my experience. Whats the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Thanks for the info I'll keep a eye on it. Bruce

I use the clearvue cv06 with a ct22. Works great. I would say its about 99.99% effective in collecting the dust because I dont see anything in the Festool bag or filter I dont use it with a planer though, just hand tools like routers, sanders, domino, circular saw and overhead dust collection (shark guard) on the table saw.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 03-16-2008 at 5:56 PM.

I'd say the need with a vac like the CT22 would be dependent on the tools you use it with. If you mostly sand, the bags will last practically forever in a hobby shop. I'm still on my first bag. But I expect that using it for more general shop cleanup since I just gave my dad my Ridgid for him to use and now that I have the saw and Domino I'll fill bags up more frequently. I'll probably keep it simple and go with something like Phil's design. And I'll probably figure out a way to make up a base plate that will latch on top of the vac like a systainer.

Phil, have you or anyone else tried to build your design for a shop vac using a 5 gallon bucket?
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-16-2008 at 6:07 PM.

Matt mine was mounted on a piece of Birch ply, but with the cage I built it was easier to have it loose. No tip overs and I do drag it around the shop, with the cage I don't even have to bend over to drag it. On top of the CT 22 you can see pre-drilled holes for the hose garage I assume. I used one hole and made a clip that slides on and off, then used the two systainer clips to hold everything in place. Very easy to remove if you need to take it to a job site.

Matt I forgot to tell you on the ply you have to cut two slots for your clips to fit into. Look at your clip and you will understand, they have a kind of T shape to them.

I just bungy corded my barrel to the handle. Its very mobile.

Yep I added a bungy cord also after the pictures where taken works great.