Thread: Jet Mini lathe capacity

Blog Entries

Jet Mini lathe capacity

Considering this;

JML-1014IVS: 10"x14" Variable Speed Mini Lathe

Question; I really want to start turning some platters- what diameter can I turn with this? I know the minimum speed of 500rpm will limit that, but large can I (reasonably)outboard turn a platter?

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Depending on how round your blank starts out, you could probably get a 9.5" plate, but closer to 9" would be more reasonable to shoot for. I wasn't aware that the Jet mini could do outboard turnings.

Blog Entries
    There is no outboard option on that lathe.

You maybe able to get a 8 1/2" or 9" platter with perfectly round cut blanks..
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    Considering this;

JML-1014IVS: 10"x14" Variable Speed Mini Lathe

Question; I really want to start turning some platters- what diameter can I turn with this? I know the minimum speed of 500rpm will limit that, but large can I (reasonably)outboard turn a platter?

Greg
    I had one and about 9 inches is biggest you can go, unless you have a model I've not heard of, they won't turn outboard.

Blog Entries
    Oh. I thought you could slide the motor all the way down to the end of the bed for outboard operations. Maybe that was a different model?

Darn. I want at least a 16" platter capacity.

What models am I going to have to consider??? I can't get too expensive, but not many used lathes go on sale around here on CL...

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

I've gotten about 9-1/4 out of mine, but that's pushing the limits. And I don't have the VS option either. When you're truing up that blank on the perimeter, it's slowing down a good bit unless you're light on the cut.

I'm not sure what the VS speed model would do with a blank that big.

If you really want to do platters, then I'd get something with a bit more capacity like the little Nova lathe that sells for under a $1000.

Motor does not on any mini's I've seen. Must be much bigger and MORE EXPENSIVE, unless used.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    Oh. I thought you could slide the motor all the way down to the end of the bed for outboard operations. Maybe that was a different model?

Darn. I want at least a 16" platter capacity.

What models am I going to have to consider??? I can't get too expensive, but not many used lathes go on sale around here on CL...

Greg
    With a sliding head you are looking at the Jet 1642 or the Powermatic 3520B. When you want to go big as in diameter there are no inexpensive lathes.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Jet 1442 tilts and slides can be wired 110 or 220 and you can turn 16" out with it. and it's cheaper by far than 1642 220 vt or the PM and you can find them used for a real deal if you look hard and dont mind a drive.

Many of the 12" bench top lathes had a headstock that could be rotated 90 degrees to provide a form of outboard turning. I haven't been paying much attention to what is on the market at present so I don't know if this is still a common feature of the mid priced lathes.

Good luck!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilhelm View Post
    Jet 1442 tilts and slides can be wired 110 or 220 and you can turn 16" out with it. and it's cheaper by far than 1642 220 vt or the PM and you can find them used for a real deal if you look hard and dont mind a drive.
    True, but the bottom end speed can start to be an issue when roughing out something that large on a non-VFD controlled lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep I'd love to drop 100 more RPMs but I have to make up for it by getting my blanks trimmed up better and more evenly balanced, then i take very light cuts to true it up.