Thread: Need motor advice

Question Need motor advice

Dominic has inspired me. I too have a Jet 14 inch bandsaw and have been looking to upgrade the motor. I have been considering a Leeson Farm duty 1.5 hp motor. These questions are for the motor experts on the forum. My present motor has an ambient temp rating of 60 degrees celcius. The one I want to buy is rated at 40. Will that make a difference? Also the Farm duty motor has a manual overload. Is that a good thing for a bandsaw motor? I don't think the 1 hp motor that came with the saw has that.

Thanks for your input - Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Malen
    Dominic has inspired me. I too have a Jet 14 inch bandsaw and have been looking to upgrade the motor. I have been considering a Leeson Farm duty 1.5 hp motor. These questions are for the motor experts on the forum. My present motor has an ambient temp rating of 60 degrees celcius. The one I want to buy is rated at 40. Will that make a difference? Also the Farm duty motor has a manual overload. Is that a good thing for a bandsaw motor? I don't think the 1 hp motor that came with the saw has that.

Thanks for your input - Dave
    Dave,

I'm no motor expert, but the 40 degree C is 104 degrees F....Does your shop get hotter than that? Also consider direction of rotation while FACING the shaft and RPM of the motor as well as mounting method.

Remember, we only got real technical in the ww shop in the last 30 years, before that?.....find what you can and put it to work.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Shop Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Dave,

I'm no motor expert, but the 40 degree C is 104 degrees F....Does your shop get hotter than that? Also consider direction of rotation while FACING the shaft and RPM of the motor as well as mounting method.

Remember, we only got real technical in the ww shop in the last 30 years, before that?.....find what you can and put it to work.
    Dennis,
    Thank god my shop doesn't get that hot! I was concerned about the motor being in the enclosed base and heat build up. I've checked out those other issues and the old and new motors are similar.

Thanks- Dave

I've done that

Dave,

I have a 14'' jet bandsaw and when my motor died I replaced it with the 1.5 hp leeson farm duty motor. I did have to modify the mounting brace a bit to get the motor to fit and line up right but it was very easy to do. So far I have had no problems. If you haven't looked at Amazon.com for a motor yet check it out. They sell a 1.5 hp baldor motor that I would have gotten if I would have seen it before I bought the leeson. I actually tried a 1.5 baldor from a local store first and it was a bit smaller than the leeson and fit perfectly on the mounting supports. Unfortunately it was the wrong rpm (3500 rpm instead of 1735 rpm). When I turned the saw on the wheels were spinning so fast that one of my tires came off. Be sure to get the right rpm motor. When I returned the motor thay just happened to have the right rpm leeson motor. Good luck.

How does that Leeson work

Quote Originally Posted by Derrell Sloan
    Dave,

I have a 14'' jet bandsaw and when my motor died I replaced it with the 1.5 hp leeson farm duty motor. I did have to modify the mounting brace a bit to get the motor to fit and line up right but it was very easy to do. So far I have had no problems. If you haven't looked at Amazon.com for a motor yet check it out. They sell a 1.5 hp baldor motor that I would have gotten if I would have seen it before I bought the leeson. I actually tried a 1.5 baldor from a local store first and it was a bit smaller than the leeson and fit perfectly on the mounting supports. Unfortunately it was the wrong rpm (3500 rpm instead of 1735 rpm). When I turned the saw on the wheels were spinning so fast that one of my tires came off. Be sure to get the right rpm motor. When I returned the motor thay just happened to have the right rpm leeson motor. Good luck.
    Derrell,
    That must have been revolutionary experience when those wheels were spinnning! . Is there an appreciable difference in power between the old motor and the new 1.5 hp motor. Can you resaw wider boards?

Dave