Thread: Radiator covers?

Blog Entries

Radiator covers?

Gentlemen, I have a freind that wants me to build a few radiator covers for their home. Off the tops of your collective heads - what material would you use with the heat factor in mind?
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

MDF spaced about 2" away in all directions. Cut out a large section in front and put in a metal screen of some kind along with one on the top...if painted pieces are acceptable.

For real wood, use plywood with hardwood edging...again observing the spacing distances.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Radiator covers are evil..they inhibit the devices ability to radiate. Everyone says they'll only use em in the off season, few take them off in the winter.

Paint grade or clear grade?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Radiator covers are evil..they inhibit the devices ability to radiate. Everyone says they'll only use em in the off season, few take them off in the winter.

Paint grade or clear grade?

I have emailed the people and let them know that I am about to get in touch with them about getting on with it. Finish was one of the initial questions.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I saw Tom Silva, on Ask this old house, make a radiator cover a few years back. He used MDF with 2" rails and stiles and then made a decorative foot at each corner. He then took some decorative metal screen and stapled it in from the backside. He took some simple molding for all the inside corners. No back per say but he did have a few straps top and bottom. The top was a flat piece with some more molding around the edges and some cleats on the underside so that it can be taken off. All of the MDF was predrilled, and then screwed together with course drywall screws. Make sure that whatever route you go that you put a thin piece of sheet metal on the back to radiate the heat outwards. This is all considering that the piece will be painted.
    Good luck,
    Greg

I just made some baseboard radiator covers for my parent's bathroom from red oak. Most people seemed to think bathroom moisture was a bigger problem than the heat when I asked.