Thread: Advice on HVLP PAint

Advice on HVLP PAint

Hi All

I am finishng some furnitre for my young son and planned on painting it a deep blue with Pro Claasic paint, per advice in past post. However, that base paint won't take te dark color.

The store recomended an oil based paint. I was hoping to avoid this withte cleanu of the oil based paint.

Are there any other water based options which offer a hard finsish like acrylic I can use? If not, any tips for how to celan the gun without getting paint thinner vapor everywhere?

THanks all. Can't wait to use my new Wagner gun for the first time. I'm a virgin to HVLP.

Spraying an oil based enamel isn't such a good thing. It takes quite a long time to dry and the overspray will be a sticky mess--and dark blue to boot.

Go to www.homesteadfinishing.com several of their waterborne acyrlics, including Target USL, are available in custom colors in whatever sheen you want. These are designed for spraying and the viscosity will be right for spraying right out of the can. Over spray will dry quickly.

Do a lot of practice spraying, first with water, and then with some extra of the material itself before going to the actual project piece.

Thanks. THe more I think about oil, the less Iwant to use. Maybe Target can match the color. Thanks. I'll investigate.

REsearching Homestead online, and guess what, their officeis not more than 10 minutes from my home. Hopefully I can buy.

Target (and Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing) can tint the Target USL acrylic for you. I used Jeff for a custom color for my kitchen renovation back in 2003. You can also get Bennie Moore WB Satin Impervo 100% acrylic in a deep tint base, but that stuff is very, very thick. IMHO, the higher cost for the Target or Fuhr product is worth it because they are ready to spray out of the container with the same gun setup you would use for most water borne acrylic finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I feel much better now that I can match SWMBO color requirements, and my preference for a water based paint. Iam going to stop by Homestead tomorrow? Anyone need anything?

MEt Jeff today

I stopped by Homestead Finishes today and Jeff kindly made my paint for me in front of me....the school way. No computers. Very nice and helpful gentlemen.

Wish me luck with my first adventrue in HVLP.

Pics? You are a bit new around here but the rule is:

No Pics, Didn't Happen!

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks, hard to play when you don't know the rules. I will do so next time.

Cheers mate.