Thread: Would this work: power planer with curved blade

Would this work: power planer with curved blade

I'm wondering about an unconventional idea for rough planing large stock (too big for whatever size machines you have). My idea is to get one of those hand power planers (the jobsite models) and put a slight curve on the ends of the blade. This would essentially be like a power scrub plane. You would still have to know where to take off wood and where to leave it, but it would make the job a lot quicker, potentially. Anyone tried this or have any thoughts on if it would work or not?

Thanks,
    Andy

I only have knowledge of my Bosch, and I believe Ryobi (saw blades for sale). These are NOT like a scrub plane (I have a LN 40 1/2). The blades are very small (thin) and presharpened (not made to be resharpened), Way to thin to use to shape like a scrub plane.

The Festool planer actually has knives available for that use...

That said, if you are going to future process with a stationary planer, then there really isn't much reason to worry about easing the corners of the knives on the hand-held unit since you'll remove any marks when you finish plane the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

normal planer

Jim, can I assume based on what you said that a normal power planer will run okay cutting into a board larger than it's blades are wide? I would have through the edges of the blades would cause a real problem here, that's why I was thinking they would have to be curved. I've never used a hand power planer though, so is it not a big issue? I would definitely be going over it again afterward, so that would solve the problem.

Take light cuts and keep it moving. The idea is just to knock off the high spots...as you would with a human powered jointer plane...to prepare the workpiece for the big planer. This is kinda an atypical use for these tools as they are most popular for trimming doors and other carpentry uses. One of the fellows who helped install my cabinetry in the addition used one while scribing to speed things up, for example.

Try it with the standard knives. If you feel uncomfortable, you can ease the corners, but be aware you may be affecting the balance of the cutter head when you do so. Here's a picture of one of the special knives for the Festool HL 850 E planer...when installed, you have a perfectly balanced and matched set on the cutter head. If you do this with the knives on another machine, try really hard to take the exact same number of strokes on the stone for each knife's corners. (Note that the knife shown below is designed for a scrub plane look and as such, has an exaggerated contour over what you need to accomplish if you hand-ease knives)

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If you have a FWW online subscription, here's a video of what you're describing.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Like any hand held tool, the power plane takes some getting used to but it would definitely do what you are talking about especially if you are planning another process to remove the marks anyway.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion