Thread: Dovetail Progress, LN Dovetail Review

Dovetail Progress, LN Dovetail Review

I am finally able to make through dovetails that don't look like they were chopped out with an axe. Chopping from both sides DOES make a difference:-). I've been using a $12 stanley dovetail saw and wondered how I could do with a good quality saw. LOML had a 10 percent off coupon from Woodcraft she wasn't going to use so I bought a LN with a maple handle.

The stanley has more teeth per inch-looks like 20 vs 15 for the LN, and the blade is also thinner. The stanley is a rip cut and I don't think there is much set on the teeth. The LN is also a rip cut and has a little set (don't remember what the manual said, but there is some set to the teeth). Both saws are easy to get started and don't wander away from the line. The LN is heavier and cuts faster and the handle feels more natural than the turned handle of the stanley. The LN makes a larger kerf and its easier to use a coping saw to remove the waste.

The stanley is easy use, the finer teeth make it easy to start the kerf and it follows the line well for the length of a dovetail. The LN is heavier, feels better, cuts faster and tracks better. Is it worth $148 more than the stanley? Based on performance, I'd say no, but the LN sure does "feel" nice!
    Dennis

LIE-NIELSEN does indeed make a high quality tool, but in this case, it sounds like you are paying dearly for the name.

Thanks for the review.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for sharing your observations, Dennis.

Speaking of inexpensive jointing saws, the $15 Shark Dovetail saw has some rave reviews on Amazon.Com. Of course, it's a pull-cut.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    Thanks for sharing your observations, Dennis.

Speaking of inexpensive jointing saws, the $15 Shark Dovetail saw has some rave reviews on Amazon.Com. Of course, it's a pull-cut.
    I bought that saw based on the Amazon reviews and it just isn't very good for DT's, in my opinion. Quite frustrating. Cuts VERY slowly on end grain, plus has too much flex because it doesn't have a back and the blade is very thin. However, I do find it quite handy for trimming and flush cutting. Quite a handy little thing for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Barr
    I bought that saw based on the Amazon reviews and it just isn't very good for DT's, in my opinion. Quite frustrating. Cuts VERY slowly on end grain, plus has too much flex because it doesn't have a back and the blade is very thin. However, I do find it quite handy for trimming and flush cutting. Quite a handy little thing for the price.
    Thanks for the feedback, Davy, was trying to decide how cheap to go for a saw to cut some long tenons (too long for a backsaw). Think I'll go with Alan's recommendation of Tashiro HW (see my post on Japanese saws), which is still quite reasonable. I'll pickup the Shark next time I need something from Amazon.

I think this is another "to each their own" scenario. I have a few difrent saws..LN being my favorite. Ihave had this saw for close to 2 years and I use it regularly. I have not needed to sharpen this puppy since the time of purchase...to me that speaks for it's self. While I have had to sharpen all of the other brands that I own.

DonnieR