Thread: A Definitive Guide to DC Ductwork and Fittings

A Definitive Guide to DC Ductwork and Fittings

Judging by the number of threads here on SMC (and other forums) on the subject of DC fittings, ductwork and hoses, it seems to me that it would be worthwhile to put together a definitive reference source to make all this information easily accessible. I suspect, though, that this more than a one-person project so I’m looking for some folks who might be interested in helping out.

As I envision it, this resource would catalog ALL the different products used for ductwork (everything from spiral metal pipe to cardboard tubes), ALL the different connectors and adaptors and, most importantly, a cross reference chart of inside/outside diameters of each item so that folks can determine what fits with what.

I’m not sure if this is a project that deserves an ongoing SMC thread or not, but I am convinced that the idea has merit. A good starting point would be information from a thread that I can’t find that had some REALLY good information on ID/OD for PVC pipe.

Any takers?

Rick

I for one would love to see something like that. I am trying to put my own DC system together and the more information I see the better.

James
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Just pick up a copy of the Air Handling Systems catalog or Nordfab.

Clever use of Google will find a lot of this info for you as well.

For example, Googling "astm 2729 or sdr 35" led me to this useful PDF:

http://www.cresline.com/pdf/cresline...ipe/cwpvc6.pdf, which happens to list ID/OD of various pvc pipes.... Cresline happens to be the manufacturer of my S&D 6" PVC pipe used in my DC.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think that it's a great idea. I'd love to have a 1-stop-shop for figuring out what DC items I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Koon View Post
    I think that it's a great idea. I'd love to have a 1-stop-shop for figuring out what DC items I need.
    Me and my bright ideas! As it seems to be turning out, this is not a simple task, by any means. For example, so far I have cataloged about 45 different variants of “in-line” (duct-like products) ranging from snap-lock steel pipe to thin-wall PVC. Even flexible tubing has lots of different characteristics besides just the diameter (e.g., right or left hand spiral, different kinds of internal spiral, and different types and thicknesses of the actual tubing material). Moreover, I am beginning to learn that there are sometimes-significant variations in the nominal outside diameter of some duct materials that COULD create headaches when trying to match up with the advertised inside diameters of accessory fittings such as blast gates, wyes and elbows.

In short, it is likely to take awhile just to collect the data. Then I’ll put together some kind of database that will let people pick-and-choose compatible duct-work and fittings (putting the database somewhere so anyone can use it is another story, but I’ll worry about that later).