Thread: Need dust collection help

Need dust collection help

I was all set to order a oneida system till I measured and my gurage hight is 7.5" so it will not fit in the gurage then I was going to put it outside and build a small shead but there is no way to get a 6" pipe over to where I need it without alot of turns. My cfm's will probably be about 300 by the time it reaches where it needs to go.

The portable might work but that is not that good to run about 40' of tubing off of. Is my best bet wheel that around from machine to machine?

Anyhow I am thinking my best option is something small I am using a festool vac now and just doesn't have the power I need. I want to get the best thing I can but it needs to be small I have limited room in the gurage and the bigger the dust collector the less room I have. Anyone have full power cyclone that are tiney or how are thoes little delta dust collectos I can get a couple of them and hook them up near the machines, that is really my best solution.

Also the Grizzley G0548 2 HP Canister Dust Collector might work it is a bit shorter than the rest 1700cfm's as opposed to the 1200 cfm tothe jet has anyone tried one of thoes?
    Last edited by jason lambert; 03-19-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    -=Jason=-

You might want to consider a CV1400 from ClearVue Cyclones. It should fit within your height restrictions and is a great performer (I have a CV1800).

Never quite figured out clearviews site and how to put a system together. I can't find specs like size or noise anywhere. My bigest fear is I will put it inthe gurage spend this cash and it be to lound for me to enjoy woodworking with it on all the time.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 03-19-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    -=Jason=-

Rob Will Guest
    IMHO, all cyclones are too loud and if given the opportunity, I would put it in an adjacent room or annex.

Is there any chance you can put the main suction pipe up in the attic?

Rob

Any chance you have room to tilt the cyclone? When I looked (with my 6' ceiling), that was what CV came up with (it still wouldn't fit in my height/space), but might in yours.

This one will fit

The JDS units will all fit under your ceiling. They have not scored near the top of any of the reviews (e.g., American Woodworker, 2006) that I've seen, but this one is newly designed. In general, JDS equipment is extremely high quality, so I would not be at all surprised if this new unit is an equal to oneida and other top rated cyclones. Good luck

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?Pa...TS&Category=27

Jason,
    My shop is a 2 car garage that's pretty well filled.... I chose to sacrifice a corner of junk storage to build a noice abatement "closet" for my DC. granted I have a standard issue DC (Jet 2HP canister style), not a cyclone... but my ears thank me for it, as well as the residents of the house.
    I can hear the radio at normal volume with the DC on... I'd say I gave up about a 3' X 4' footprint in a corner and was well worth it for about 75% noise reduction.

Greg

Penn State has a couple that are shorter.
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tempest-s-series.html

Don't know anything about their performance though.

I have the ClearVue CV1400. My ceiling is 6'8". Lucky for me that I'm 5'7". I had to build a trash box because I couldn't fit a trash can larger then 10 gal under the DC. My box holds 27.5 gals so that's not a problem, but it is tedious to empty.

It is LOUD. When I first got it I adjusted to the noise but lately I use 30db ear plugs. Sounds like you are standing behind a 747. However, this thing can suck up anything that's not nailed down. If you have the space you can enclose the unit behind insulation.

It's not a turnkey system. You have to assemble the cyclone, build a support structure, buy filters and rig the filters to fit your space. The ClearVue site suggests stacking the filters in-line but that wouldn't work in my confined space so I built a unit that would allow the filters to exist side by side. This is actually the preferred method suggested by the filter manufacturer (Wynn Environment).

The site has an image gallery displaying the many different ways people have installed the system. By the way, the unit does NOT have to be vertical. One can mount is at almost any angle. That means you could mount it in as little space as 4' or so. If this is a problem, talk to Ed Morgano. He is very accessible and very helpful.

I'm very happy with mine. Just wish I could cut the noise down some.

Burt

I agree with Greg. I also have a Jet 2hp (DC 1200) but have only a 1 car garage right under my bedroom. The noise is acceptable. Nothing other than a Fein will ever be really "quiet", but this compromise comes with the territory. I have a Wynn canister filter on it and one of Phil Thien's baffles mounted in the separator ring. It works great. The total height is about 66".

According the Bill Pentz, Jet is one of only a couple manufacturers that publish accurate CFM/SP data for their DC units. This is a main reason why I bought a Jet. The DC 1200 runs on 220 volts.

David

Bob,

Wow, hadn't seen that unit before. Looks like it has some nice features. I Googled it to see if I could find a price, but no luck. Have you heard what the MSRP is going to be?

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Beck; 03-20-2008 at 12:28 PM.

I own a Grizzly GO440 - bought it used (it was setup but never turned on with a woodwokring machine so no dust in it). I had looked at the 1.5 HP unit as it's measurements fit the low ceiling in my basement - however by the time I swapped over to 220 the cost would have been about the same as the 2HP I ended up getting - plus I got it for about half what it would cost shipped to me. The problem is that it's several inches too tall for the ceiling. My plan is to use the optional base and shorten the legs, building a box for the dust as Burt has done and enclose it to help eliminate the noise. I'm almost finished reworking the space and hope to get on with the dust collector after the first of the month - I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai