Thread: Hard lesson

Hard lesson

Being new to estimating jobs, I've made many mistakes and learned from them. A recent mistake was a considerable tesson and one I thougt I would share for others new to all this. The job was for 55 1/4" x 5 1/2" x 7" wood signs (poplar). I priced the job out at 2 x my material costs + $1.50 per minute for laser time. The signs were all the same and were a stand-up design that involved 2 peices that joined togeather in a "T".

When I engraved the prototype I set it up correctly on the laser bed to run in the quickest time. What I forgot was that the peices had to set in the laser with the grain running along the Y-axis. The difference in running time was substantial, not something that trashed the job, but certainly a bite into profit.

Another tip from experience, Poplar does not engrave uniformly dark. It does not look bad, but not nearly as nice as alder or maple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

Until you become more familiar with estimating/quoting, on a large quantity it can be a good idea to actually run a sample for accurate timing. If it's an expensive material you can run it with the top open so it doesn't fire just for the time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Look at it another way; you made the same amount of money, it just took longer.