Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Kits & Bulk Buy Information -- **Please Read**

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Free Kits & Bulk Buy Information -- **Please Read**

Bulk buy and the free kit program requests have grown to the point where I will have to streamline the manner in which request are being made. Requests asking for information are becoming overwhelming. I do not have the time to respond to every e-mail requesting detailed information on these two programs or I will never get anything shipped.

The following is a portion of the ones I am dealing with this morning, which are representative of ones I receive on a daily basis.

“I know that you are real busy, but I'm just wondering if you send out some free kits to me yet? I would like to get some so I can help out. Also do you have a bulk buy program? If so what type of deals do you have? (signed with a first name only).”

“What do we need to do to get mechanisms for a turn a thon.... I would like to have as much information for the club before we meet on April.”

“I am looking for a minimum 100 kits and red white and blue blanks. We have quite a few turners ready and willing. Please let me know if you can supply any kits or blanks. If you don't have inventory, please let me know that too”“I am retired and have lots of free time on my hands. I've been reading posts on the different forums about your project and am very impressed. I have a new lathe and would be willing to help turn pens for the troops. I can't afford the pen kits but would love to do the turning.”

“Where do I get the pen kits? (signed with a first name only)

“How do I get the pen kits to make ? I have a mini lath and have made pens for craft shows. I would like to get involved.”

Responding to these types of e-mails and Private Messages is prohibiting me from taking the time to process requests. For instance, I have 4 bulk buy requests and 22 free kit (575 kits) requests in the queue which require sorting, packaging, addressing and shipping this week alone.

Solution I hope:I will spend the majority of my day today generating some special pages on my web site with details of these programs. I will be establishing unique e-mail addresses for placing orders. Hopefully these pages will provide enough details on the programs to eliminate, or at least drastically reduce the number of e-mails and pm’s for information. When such e-mails/pm’s are received I will simply respond with a “form letter” answer containing a URL to the web site information. I wish I could respond to each message – but there just isn’t enough time in the day (or night for that matter) to do that.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-22-2004 at 8:20 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

OT, So how did the show go??

Well, ya going to make us pry the resulst of the show out of ya?

That was a long time away to not say anything about how it went!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Well, ya going to make us pry the resulst of the show out of ya?

That was a long time away to not say anything about how it went!
    If I didn't have so many e-mails I could take time to tell ya - will post something tonight
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Ken,

Have you thought about having a couple of guys (or girl) here onthe forums be another point of contact for shipping? I'm sure there are a couple here who could take up some of the slack.

Just a thought.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Stringer
    Ken,

Have you thought about having a couple of guys (or girl) here onthe forums be another point of contact for shipping? I'm sure there are a couple here who could take up some of the slack.

Just a thought.

Jerry
    The shipping isn't the problem. It is folks not supplying enough information (full name, address, etc, etc) and just asking what they need to do to get kits. The time it takes to answer all the questions keeps me from the chore to do the actual sorting, packing/shipping.

I just need to get a procedure down pat which explains itself so multiple communications are not required in order to satisfy requests.

Ken, From the CA Bulk Buy experience I have so far, I would recommend one of those forms that won't submit if it is not completely filled out. I know what you mean. one requests easily turns into four to six e-mails on my part. I have no idea how to go about making one of those forms but i am sure somebody here does.
    as much as can be automated now will save having you buried later.
    I've lost track of the numbers of kits shipped. but the numbers break down to 5000 kits every 3 months. this first quarter did not reach that so the extra has to be absorbed by the remaining three quarters. say roughly 6000 kits per quarter. if two thousand kits actually getting shipped is overwhelming. how will 6000 be managed. with the exposure FPP is getting I still have no dought that the program will reach this scale. just some of my thoughts hopefully you have already been their yourself. I just don't want to seet he program get caught off guard.
    Daniel

Ken - I would have to second Daniel's suggestion of using HTML forms with field validation. Properly implemented, the forms should greatly reduce the email "back and forth".

I would be happy to offer my services to build the forms if you can provide the fields that you require and the correct email address to attach to the Submit buttons.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Solution I hope: I will spend the majority of my day today generating some special pages on my web site with details of these programs. I will be establishing unique e-mail addresses for placing orders. Hopefully these pages will provide enough details on the programs to eliminate, or at least drastically reduce the number of e-mails and pm’s for information.

Ken, I just looked at your new page and I think it is great. I have been trying to get more people involved with the FPP in this area, and they almost always tell me they have trouble finding where to order the bulk buy/free kits. This should simplify it.

Another thought--what would make this whole thing even more convenient from the user end would be if your page had a place to click for the Corian (going to Keith's address), and another for Daniel's CA bulk buy, and now maybe another to Jerry's for the pen tubes. Just an idea...

If you can think of any way I can help you from here, please ask. I am retired and would be glad to help if I could.

Thanks for all your work!

Art

Ken - How about something like this form? It has validation on the fields and will send to the correct email address.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Waymon...

Quote Originally Posted by art hendrix
    Another thought--what would make this whole thing even more convenient from the user end would be if your page had a place to click for the Corian (going to Keith's address), and another for Daniel's CA bulk buy, and now maybe another to Jerry's for the pen tubes. Just an idea...

Art
    Thanks - I do plan on adding a page to request wooden blanks and corian when added to a pen kit shipment. I just have to work out the shipping costs for that effort. The free kit fund cannot absorb the shipping costs for blanks and corian.

Quote Originally Posted by Waymon Campbell
    Ken - How about something like this form? It has validation on the fields and will send to the correct email address.
    My pute says the zip file is not valid or is corrupt - so I couldn't open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Thanks - I do plan on adding a page to request wooden blanks and corian when added to a pen kit shipment. I just have to work out the shipping costs for that effort. The free kit fund cannot absorb the shipping costs for blanks and corian.
    Ken, Why not just tack on a flat rate shipping charge like they do on the TV commercials. Geezz...They/we are getting the kits either free or at a cut rate price. If the shipping is a little over then it can be added to the FPP fund. Say $8.95 shipping and handling or whatever it takes.
    Just my two cents.............
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    My pute says the zip file is not valid or is corrupt - so I couldn't open it.
    Mine opens it fine. I am posting it again. If that doesn't work, when I get home I'll put it on a web site and send you a link.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Waymon...

Ken - I put the test form on a web site so you could take a look.

http://www.fbcmb.org/FreeKitProgram.htm
    Waymon...

Quote Originally Posted by Waymon Campbell
    Ken - I put the test form on a web site so you could take a look.

http://www.fbcmb.org/FreeKitProgram.htm
    Looks good Waymon I will try to merge that on my site when time permits. I tested it and the form results come back to the bulkbuy@oldrebelworkshop.com instead of freekits@oldrebelworkshop.com
    small problem easily fixed when I put the code in site page.