Thread: Ordered PhotoGrav...Question before it gets here

Ordered PhotoGrav...Question before it gets here

I read allot of discussion about PhotoGrav...and what an excellent job it does...so I decided to purchase it...I have a professional picture done by Olan Mills of my wife and I...and tried to do it on LaserTile with PShop Pro...Olan Mills uses such a dark background to take a picture...and the picture washes out...will PhotoGrav process some of that background out to make a better engraving ?

I attached the original and the one engraved
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James Wright - Haventouch Enterprises Inc. Dahlonega, Ga. (Epilog Laser Mini 24 - 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, PhotoGrav 3.0) "Who is John Galt ?"

Here is just a quick convert...As with all binary files, Don't resize it, or rotate it, or it will look like... well you know..
    It was processed on the old photograv, using the generic 'cherry' setting.. I spent no time on it, it might look a little washed out around the face, but if the original photo is worked on a bit to improve the contrast it will etch quite good..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 03-21-2008 at 2:55 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

James:
    Why not remove the background? Photopaint or Photoshop will do the job. I would never leave a background such as this one (although nice for a color photo). Photograv does a great job, but like anything else, it has to have good input in order to get good output. (the old "Garbage in..Garbage out" applies)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

4. Nice photo James.

Bring the photo into Corel PHOTO-PAINT X3.
    Resample to the size and resolution you want. 300 dpi is a good place to start.
    Go to Cutout Lab and follow the hints at the right of the screen.
    A little experimenting and you will get good results quickly.

Photograv

Hi james;
    I'm with Larry- get rid of the background as it only detracts from the final- or use a soft fade vignette (see link below for instructions). http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...psvignette.htm
    In addition, once you process a pic in Photograv you can always open it in Photoshop or Paint and remove the background.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

James,
    Be careful not to violate the Olan Mills copyright especially for customers.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press